argue benefits of different chilling methods

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like my immersion chiller for many reason. I have no experience with plate or counterflow chillers, but my first question about those would be an important one to me. Part of the chilling process is to create the cold break, which I prefer to leave behind in the brew kettle. How do you keep the cold break out of the fermenter with counterflow or plate chilling methods?

I like my immersion chiller for many reason. I have no experience with plate or counterflow chillers, but my first question about those would be an important one to me. Part of the chilling process is to create the cold break, which I prefer to leave behind in the brew kettle. How do you keep the cold break out of the fermenter with counterflow or plate chilling methods?

This is one of the reasons I will be switching to IC. It's easier.

With a CFC, if I wanted to remove coldbreak, I would chill the beer, racking into a carboy. I would then let that carboy settle, and rack again into a second carboy, racking off of the coldbreak.

Easier with an IC.

Back