Adding honey to beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neuron555

Reaction score
I'm new to this hobby - I made a batch of Irish stout with a buddy to learn and just made a successful hefeweissen solo, so I felt good enough about it to try something new. I made a 5 gal batch of nut brown ale, then added 2 lbs of honey, following suggestions on heat pastuerizing it and adding it after the ferment was going strong. My question is whether it is possible to estimate the OG of the honey-fortified wort? I got a 1.050 before pitching the yeast, but wasn't sure how to recheck after the addition without opening everything up. Any way to make a guestimate?

Honey varies but typically it 80% sugar, about the same as a liquid extract. So, 36 points per pound means 72 points divided by 5 gal. should add 0.014 to the OG. Honey ferments completely, so the FG won't change much.

Thanks, just what I wanted to know. It's fermenting away happily down in the basement.

You can also use brewing software and just start with nothing but the honey in the "recipe" and make sure it states 5 gallons. Promash also gives you the above 1.014. Just add the .014 part to your reading.

Back