Well did i mess up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanuckBrewing

Reaction score
So i was brewing a lager. I pitched two packages of the Wyeast smack packs, but after 3 days nothin had happened. So i went to my LHBS and picked up a pack of Fermentis Saflager and pitched it. Then within two days the fermentation rate had skyrocketed. The krausen had formed and bubbles were comin out of the airlock approx. 1 bubble/2 secs. Now i am lookin at my carboy, the krausen is almost gone, i get 1 bubble every 2-3 min. Is it possible to have the fermentation end sooo quickly? Did i overpitch? What does this mean for the final outcome of my lager, and should i rack to secondary and start lagering?
Thanks for the help guys.

Well, I don't think you messed up, you just got a little too anxious. After pitching your yeast it may take a day or two to see fermentation results, especially if pitching at colder temps into a lager. The yeast are active, just not enough activity to see.

Since your airlock is still bubbling your fermentation is still active. Primary fermentation on a lager can take 2 weeks, and sometimes longer depending on primary temperature. Don't transfer to your secondary until your primary fermentation is complete. Check you gravity to be sure.

As for overpitching, not possible with 2 smack packs. If you would have taken 1 smack pack and make a starter you would have pitched much more yeast than is contained in 2 smackpacks. This is something you should try for your next lager. Fermentation should then start within 12 hours vs. 3 days.

Back