Hop Spider - 1lb of hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chriscraig

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to brew an IIPA that calls for a full pound of pellet hops. I'm using a 5 gallons paint strainer bag on my hop spider, and I'm wondering if I'm going to have any issues in my keggle.

Is this too much hop matter?

i just did a one pounder and i threw some socks in too, because it seemed like the bag was overworked. but i don't know if the strainer bags i have are for one gallon or five gallons- come to think of it...

It's a bit too much for the hops spider to allow full contact for all of the hops in the wort. What I do when I have that much is to use the hops spider for the later additions, but put the bittering hops in their own large bag and tie it off and leave it in the wort. Then I just add the flavor/aroma hops to the spider.

I think the last time, I had a large addition at 60 minutes and another at 15 minutes, so I used separate bags for those two additions, and then put the final 6 ounces in the spider.

It's a bit too much for the hops spider to allow full contact for all of the hops in the wort. What I do when I have that much is to use the hops spider for the later additions, but put the bittering hops in their own large bag and tie it off and leave it in the wort. Then I just add the flavor/aroma hops to the spider.

I think the last time, I had a large addition at 60 minutes and another at 15 minutes, so I used separate bags for those two additions, and then put the final 6 ounces in the spider.

That's probably a good idea.

I just boiled with 8oz of pellet hops and I think that is about all you'd want in a 5gal strainer bag. Maybe if you didn't use a spider but just tie the bag at the end, it might work. A fair amount of the bag volume is tied up in fastening it to the spider.

One thing that i've found to work for large hop amounts is to use the 5gal strainer but when the wort is leaving the kettle (i use a coiled brass wort chiller, not a plate or counter flow), i skip using the hop spider for large hop recipes, so i sanitize the strainer bag, place it in the bucket im going to ferment in, then unload the wort into the bucket, remove the strainer bag and continue with normal steps from there.

hope this helps!

For batches with a ton of hops I use a BIAB bag. It basically lines the kettle, so the hops behave as though they are loose, but then I can remove the bag & hop matter easily after cooling with my IC.

I place a SS fold-up veggie steamer in the bottom of the pot to keep the bag from touching the bottom and possibly melting.

if you have a pump, while you are boiling i would pump the wort into the top of the hop spider to utilize all those hops

Back