Hops over 8 feet.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shovhed1

Reaction score
My 4 year old Hallertau hops have passed the 8' mark. They are growing about 4" per day. I'm goin to have to extend the trellis upward sooner than I expected. This years plantings are only 3' tall.

Mine hangs down to my knees!

Oh, wait, for a second there I thought this was a bonafide dick-waving contest. Apparently you're talking about hop vines. Sorry for the confusion.

My stronger cascade is probably at 10' and the other 3 are between 4 and 8'.

My Chinook and Fuggles just barely started to poke out of the ground!!!!!!!!

My Mt Hood is about 8 inches tall (5 weeks in the ground)
Cascade and centenial have put sprouts up on 2 different occasions but they died back.
golding is defanitely dead. when i got it, it had a split at one end. Out of curiousity last week i took it out of the dirt to see if anything was growing and it was pretty well rotted. The other two look exactly the same as when i got them in the mail.

Yeah...pics or it didn't happen. Seriously, I'd like to see what they look like! :mug:

I hate you all. I checked on mine today. Magnum never came up. Willamette not up but lightly dug and its growing horizontal. Centennial has 2 sprouts, tallest is about 5inches.

East Kent and Nugget are out of the ground here, the Nugget is exploding; at knee level right now... just like my friends in MA, the hops start growing a little later in New England....

All in good time. My Brewer's Gold from last year is really starting to pick up. I have to get that danged Trellis in :D. The other Rhizomes from Phil are just starting to come out, planted them about 2 weeks ago.

All of mine are first year. I planted two rhizomes of each variety a little over two weeks ago. One Crystal has sprouted so far and is the tallest at 6-8 inches. Behind that is the one Saaz that has sprouted at 4-6 inches. Both of these had pretty sizeable shoots when they went in the ground. Both Hallertauers have sprouted, which is interesting since they looked the least viable. The tallest of those is about three inches. These are different from the others in that, so-far, the leaves are pairs of single leaves with no nodes. Surprisingly, Sterling is bringing up the rear, size-wise, though it is sending up a couple of shoots. As of yesterday the second Sterling has sprouted, so I'm happy there.

We've been having some on-again/off again weather: a smattering of nice days interspersed with cool rainy days, along with a few nights of frost. We've finally gotten a couple of good days in a row with yesterday getting up to 80 degrees. Raining today and it's going to cool off again, but at least we should be seeing more of the sun.

Chris

Don't have anything over a foot. Still cold & overcast & we had frost on May 1st. Have to flush the irrigation system and get it going. This place fakes me out. It feels like rainy weather, but the ground is starting to dry out.

East Kent and Nugget are out of the ground here, the Nugget is exploding; at knee level right now... just like my friends in MA, the hops start growing a little later in New England....

It must be a good year for Nuggets, my Nugget is doing the best so far at 3 ft.

Back