Anyone kept their Brett beer on the primary yeast cake for months

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoundrel

Reaction score
I brewed a beer in March and its still on the yeast cake. I know there's all the fear out there regarding leaving beer on the yeast cake too long but really is it going to ruin the beer? I could see Saccharomyces beers might get funky but Brett beers already are. Anyway, I was just curious if anyone has done it.

I've had my lambic on the primary yeast cake for about 6 months now. Generally you leave them for a year then transfer to 2ndary if your adding any fruit

I usually let my brett beers sit for a while, generally 3mos or so at a minimum on the cake,

many of my "clean" sacch only beers sit in the carboy for upwards of 8wks from a combination of laziness, lack of motivation, and not needing a carboy

In none have I experienced autolysis, personally I dont think it is as big of an issue as some would leave you to believe (in beer); Cider/Wine are a different story, and Ive had autolysis much quicker in them, my best guess is that the acid from the fruit and the lack of much else in the wine/cider tears up yeast faster. In fact many of the white wines I taste from the store have a yeasty/autolysis note in them.

Leaving it on the cake leaves more food for the Brett. I have never used a secondary with my bugged beers.

Latest posts

Back