Help! I think I may have over-carbonated!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard

Reaction score
On Saturday I bottled 2 batches made in Mr Beer containers, and I think I mixed too much primer into the bottling bucket! For each 8.5 qt batch I mixed in almost 3/4 of a cup! My only saving grace may be that I used Mr Beer Booster instead of sugar. The Mr Beer manual says that Booster is not recommended for priming because it isn't entirely fermentable, so it tends to under-carbonate.

Did I just screw up 2 batches of beer?:(

You probably will have a pretty high carbonation, but you could always try one after a week and see if its where you want the carbonation to be, then put the rest in the fridge

Just check it sooner.

Once the carb level is reached that you like put it in the COLD right away to try to retard the fermentation process.

Your best bet is to drink it before it get too carbonated. Of course it'll taste better if it aged a bit longer, but at least it won't be all gushers.

I have most of them in my cooler down in the basement so they won't make too much mess if they explode. I'm hoping that the proportion of non-fermentables in the Booster is high enough that the carbonation will be ok.

Back