SG of carbonated beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wables

Reaction score
OK, so I was in a hurry. I made an Amber a few weeks ago, OG = 1.066. Fermentables were 12.5# 2-row, .5# 90L, .5# 120L. The mash was a full 60 minutes at 153 deg. Yeast was S04, and fermentation temp was 65. I did not take a final gravity reading after the primary or after the secondary. I kegged and force carbonated yesterday, and the beer is sweet with some diacetyl. This is similar grain bill to other beers I have brewed, but I have not used S04 before. After countless batches, I guess I have started to cut some corners. I am curious to figure out what went wrong. My question is how much will carbonation throw off a gravity reading? Can I just fill up the sample tube from the keg and warm it up, or do I need to let it sit for a day to let it go flat?

Thanks!

Let it go flat. My thoughts are that the CO2 that's dissolved into the beer will create little air pockets that will throw off your hydrometer. I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you used a secondary on a 1.066 beer, then it's probably done...unless you rushed it right out of primary after a week and only used secondary for another week.

As you've said...you're cutting corners. This is a bad habit to get into and is more than likely why your beer has a diacetyl taste to it. How much did your temps fluxuate?

I've used S-04 twice for the same recipe. 1st time it came out sweet and slightly fruity I thought it was me, second time I decided I won't use it again. Wasn't bad, just wasn't for me.

As you've said...you're cutting corners. This is a bad habit to get into and is more than likely why your beer has a diacetyl taste to it. How much did your temps fluxuate?

Point taken. My last house had wildly fluctuating temps in the basement, so I am pretty anal about controlling the temps. I am currently sampling one from the tap. It was still a bit flat after force carbonating, so I let it sit for a day at 25 psi. I am assuming that it also got a bit colder after a second day in the fridge. The diacetyl taste is gone, and the sweetness is down quite a bit. I warmed up a sample in the hydrometer tube and bounced the hydrometer up and down quite a few times to knock out the carbonation. It is sitting at 1.014. I will leave it overnight to see what happens. I am wondering if the warmer than usual temp, low carbonation, S04, and the 120L was enough to throw my taste buds off? There is still a slight, almost raisinlike, fruitiness to it. Maybe, again, from the 120L and S04? I am not sure, as I don't normally use either one. It is starting to grow on me, and I will definitely open it up for public consumption.

Back