Warsteiner verum? Really?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewScout

Reaction score
So I decided to try one of these today. I was at first reluctant due to the fact that they were located in the same section of the cooler as old English and colt 45. I got home and was very disappointed. To me it tasted like a glorified corona only a little sweeter. Is this just the style or is this the Coors of Germany? What style is this?

IMHO, your comparison of Warsteiner and Corona is actually not far off the mark.

Those tenacious Germans helped establish many a brewery around the globe that brew beers patterned after their native style, but have come to be a familiar world standard.

Warsteiner is a very well-balanced pilsner-style beer that is generally well-respected around the world. The beer is brewed according to the German Purity Law so that it only allows the beer to be brewed with 4 natural ingredients. I personally love it. I think in today's world where craft beers are all the rage, people have lost sight that sometimes a better beer just means that it is better balanced. Some of the craft brands are good but many of them are just trying to be "extreme" which does not exactly correlate to a better quality. Just MHO.

I'm not trying to dog on the beer but I've had plenty if German beer and this is the only one that tasted cheap. Just because it is brewed in accordance with reinheitsgebot does not by default make it a good beer. It just means that it is brewed with barley, water and hops. Until yeast was discovered by Louis Pasteur in the 1800's. Or maybe I got a bottle that was mishandled during transport. Who knows! :mug:

I'm drinking one at the moment...

I became somewhat fanatical about pilsners over the last year (after years of IPAs/PAs etc), and the Warsteiner is a great example of a German Pilsner in my book. Konig Pilsner is very nice, and Bitburger is probably my favorite...all fairly subtle differences, but that's what this style is all about. If you're used to drinking only strong ales, there's a good chance you won't appreciate a well-crafted pilsner at first.

And yes, sometimes by the time you open the bottle, the beer has been mishandled and is no longer the same. Give it another shot!

Or maybe I got a bottle that was mishandled during transport. Who knows! :mug:

I don't think Warsteiner is by any means the best, but it is great whilst grilling! I have had some Warsteiner that was better than some others (Maybe transport issues). I do like Bitburger and just had some Krombacher tonight for the first time.:rockin:

maybe its just my taste buds but i think warsteiner decreased in quality over the years, 8+years ago it a was a different beer. I picked up a pack the other day, i find it much better out of the bottle instead of in a glass

Warsteiner is what got me into homebrewing. Last year, at the end of september into october 2011,my wife and I went to Cashmire Washington to visit her sister and family. While we were there, we went to the Octoberfest at Leavenworth, and enjoyed all it had, good food, good bands, and good beer. I loved the Warsteiner octoberfest, but my favorite was the Warsteiner dunkel, all on tap. Bought a Warsteiner liter mug to drink it in, and read on it, translated, life is to short for cheep beer, and agreed. Got back home and could not find any dunkel anywhere, though some stores did carry verum, I prefered dunkel. Doing internet searches came up on lots of homebrewing sites, such as this one, and the realization that, yes, I can do that. Have had a great time brewing and learning about brewing. And my wife says, of all my hobbies, she likes this one best. ---Mark F.---

So I decided to try one of these today. I was at first reluctant due to the fact that they were located in the same section of the cooler as old English and colt 45. I got home and was very disappointed. To me it tasted like a glorified corona only a little sweeter. Is this just the style or is this the Coors of Germany? What style is this?

Had some at my cousins place on the East Coast a few years ago. It was good, but that was before I discovered dark ales.

I seem to remember something on their label that went something like this

"Life is to short to drink cheap beer".

Back