Trub (or lack thereof)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illin8

Reaction score
Brewed my first batch yesterday, the AHS Promotional Amber Ale which required steeping crystal malt followed 7lbs amber extract upon boiling. I followed the directions they included but did a late extract addition and due to a 11 month old son, lengthened the partial boil by about 10 minutes. Anyways, after getting the wort cooled down, I whirlpooled and siphoned to the primary from the side of the brewpot...only problem is that there was no trub or break on the bottom of the pot. The carboy has a solid 2-3 inches of trub on the bottom now, just curious if I did anything wrong? I didn't wait that long after I whirlpooled it, only when I noticed the whirlpool had stopped. Any ideas?

you may have drawn all of it in to your carboy,
that is nothing to worry about.

you might want to transfer to a clearing vessel(secondary) after fermentation is complete.

The instructions from AHS also covers the layer of trub at the bottom of your carboy.

Corgrats on your first beer
and Welcome HBT

illin8 - You needed to wait longer. Extract brewing results in alot less trub then all grain. I usually leave my ale wort about an hour after whirlpooling before racking, lagers remain o/n.

GT

Hmmm, I did not know that...I thought the goal was to get it cooled as quickly as possible then transfer into a clean/sanitized primary to minimize the risk of infection. So once I get it cooled, I should just cover it and wait an hour or so?

Will there be a taste difference in doing it the way I did and waiting an hour?

Thanks...

PS...there is about 2-3" of sediment in the bottom of the primary, and the yeast is churning away...noticable fermentation started at 18 hours and had 2-3" of krausen and a bubble every 2 seconds from the airlock this morning, 36 hours later. Nice to see it working...:)

286012021_bWNf3-L.jpg

You're doing just fine. I don't whirlpool or otherwise filter my partial boils, I just let it settle out in the primary, then in then secondary. It comes out clear.

I agree with chilling as fast as possible and then either just putting it into primary, or straining it through a sanitized strainer if you want. You certainly won't hurt the beer by putting it all into the fermenter. The cold break and hot break and hops sludge will all settle out. You just may not have alot of hot break with extract anyway.

:mug: OK, good...I hate the noob perception BTW, makes this 32 year old feel like a teenager again :), like I'm buggin dad or something...

Interesting choice though, chill as fast as possible and take it all into the primary and get it done as quick as possible, OR chill as fast as possible, remove immersion chiller, whirlpool, cover and wait an hour or so before transferring to primary. Decisions...

Back