Skeeter Pee Expirement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBngNOK

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
As my wife says, "Skeeter Pee is dangerously good." Why mess with a classic? I dunno, I like variety, and I was looking for a way to cut down on the sugar.

I made a batch of skeeter pee, using a starter of 64 oz of white grape juice and a pack of EC 1118. Rather than add more lemon juice at the second addition step, I added a 32 oz bottle of lime juice. After fermentation was complete, it was time to start tinkering. Rather than add sugar to sweeten, I opted to try sugar-free drink mixes.

FlavoringSkeeterPee.jpg

Starting with Wal-Mart's Great Value drink mixes (no endorsements implied, we just happened to be at Wal-Mart) - ( the drink mix packages are the ones where one packet makes two quarts), I added one packet to two quarts of skeeter pee, and we sampled. My wife, who has more taste buds than me ;) , said one packet to two quarts was just right for the Margarita and Peach flavors, but made the Strawberry and Cherry cloyingly sweet. So what you see are gallon jugs (actually 4 liter jugs) with two packets of flavoring in the Margarita and Peach, and one packet of flavoring in the Strawberry and Cherry. If Skeeter Pee was dangerously good before, it's lethal now :D !

Where is the skeeter pee original recipe you used ?

HBngNOK said:
Skeeter Pee with a white grape juice starter instead of a yeast cake, and 32 oz of lime juice sub'ed for one of the bottles of lemon juice.

As a side note, sugar-free lemonade flavoring is very good too!

How are you doing a white grape juice starter? I don't have any wine slurry.

One thing that we've tried is crushing some mint leaves in a glass prior to adding regular SP. I really can't recommend it enough - it's awesome.

How are you doing a white grape juice starter? I don't have any wine slurry.

I can't take credit for it, another member posted it up how to do it in a thread on how to make skeeter pee starter. When I start the skeeter pee, I decant a 64 oz bottle of white grape juice into a gallon jug and add a pack of Lalvin EC1118, I swirl/shake the jug when I walk by, or think of it. 24~48 hours later, I dump the grape juice starter into the skeeter pee must, and proceed per the skeeter pee recipe.

HBngNOK said:
I can't take credit for it, another member posted it up how to do it in a thread on how to make skeeter pee starter. When I start the skeeter pee, I decant a 64 oz bottle of white grape juice into a gallon jug and add a pack of Lalvin EC1118, I swirl/shake the jug when I walk by, or think of it. 24~48 hours later, I dump the grape juice starter into the skeeter pee must, and proceed per the skeeter pee recipe.

Thanks. Might be better than sprinkling dry yeast on top. Now I need to borrow a drill and buy tannin and other ingredients. Got the s04 yesterday.

Back