moonwind dark ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unionrdr

Homebrewer, author & air gun collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
7g Cooper\\'s dry ale yeast
Yeast Starter
2C boiled water re-hydrate
Batch Size (Gallons)
23L,or 6 gallon
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
25 mins
Color
drk brown
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
15 days @ 68F
Tasting Notes
tastes like a dark cream ale with ruby hints when held up to the light.
1) can Cooper's OS dark ale
3lbs Munton's plain amber DME
1oz East Kent Golding pellet hops
1oz German Haulertauer pellet hops
7g Cooper's dry ale yeast,re-hydrated
Boil 2.5 gallons of water in BK,then measure 1.5lbs of the plain amber DME & stir into boiling water till completely dissolved. Put 1oz EKG in hop sack & add to boil. Set timer at 20 minutes.
@ 10 minutes,add .5oz German Haulertauer in hop sack,stiring occasionally. At flame out,add remaining DME & stir to dissolve. Then dito with the Cooper's dark ale can,rinsing can into BK. Add remaining .5oz Haulertauer in sack,cover & steep 15 minutes. **You could even do this last hop addition @ 3 minutes left in the boil for the same aroma hit. Don't worry,the wort is still plenty hot enough at flame out to get these steps done if you work quickly & accurately.
After steeping,place BK in kitchen sink,fill empty space around kettle with ice to the top of the sink bowl. Then top that off with really cold water. A floating thermometer in the BK will serve well here to see when it gets down to 65-70 F. Sanitize cleaned FV with starsan,then place fine mesh strainer ofer top of FV,pouring chilled wort & top off water through it in a circular motion. This'll keep several small streams like a shower coming out of it into FV. Aerates better that way.
Then stir with long spoon or plastic paddle for 5 minutes strainght,roughly. More aeration & better mixing of wort & top off water. Take hydrometer sample,then stir & pour in re-hydrated yeast cream. Seal,add airlock,& fill airlock with cheap vodka. Cover with dark tee shirt or use whatever fermentarion temp control box,etc you have.
I wound up needing a blow off for this one,so you may as well rig that from the get go.
I didn't have my digital scale yet,so I primed with 1C dextrose in 2C of boiled water cooled after stiring the corn sugar into it. Racked the ale onto it,then stired gently so as not to aerate. Yield was 64/12oz bottles.

To make this brew into my whiskely ale,Get 4oz of medium toast French oak chips soaking in 5 jiggers of Beam's Black 8 year old bourbon in an airtight container. Place in fridge the same day yeast is pitched on dark ale. At the point where you'd rack to the bottling bucket,pour the chips & bourbon through a hop sock into secondary,tie off bag,& drop it in. Then rack over dark ale onto the chips & bourbon. Place airlock filled with vodka on secondary. Leave for 7-8 days.
Then bottle as usual. It took 9 weeks & 6 days to mellow it out to where it was ready. 2 weeks fridge time for decent head & carbonation.

*The previous one lets more bourbon flavor from the Beams black shine through. I've since cut this on the new PM Whiskely Stout recipe I've got bottled since 11/6/13. 2oz American white oak with some 2.5ozs of regular Jim Beam Kentucky bourbon. I'm positive this is more authentic to the bourbon barrel aged flavor the colonials got.
** I'll post the PB/PM BIAB version come Christmas when I taste it.

Back