Good resource for control boxes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvilBrewer

Reaction score
I'm looking to build a RIMS and I'd like to find a good selection of control boxes from which to choose, and at a reasonable price...for example, I don't think there's any way I would spend 170 bucks for a Hoffman (even though there are some pretty nice ones that would be perfect otherwise!).

I've obsessively scoured the HBT site looking for a reference to a good website...can't seem to find anything. And I know some people use "other" items--for example, junction boxes, toolboxes, etc.

Also...is it adviseable to use a plastic control box?? I've found some good ones online but I wasn't sure if plastic would be too dangerous for 120V.

I'm really looking for a sloped enclosure in which I could install an Auber PID, an SSR and heatsink, and possibly some outlets--and of course lights and switches. Pretty straightforward I think.

Any leads would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Check out seller electrical_parts on eBay. I just got a 16x12x8 w/removable back panel for $80+free shipping. Didn't see any sloped panels but the guy has lots of stuff.

jcaudill said:
If you want a custom size, I had Mark at http://www.customaluminumbox.com/ build one for me. Even has a subpanel! I'll have to take some pics. I have not put it into action just yet.

I actually came across that site on my own a few days back...was considering a custom box from him. That'd be awesome if you could post some pics of the one he made you. The cost too, if you're ok with that.

Ok as promised - here are some pics:

Untitled by brewerJP

Untitled by brewerJP

Untitled by brewerJP

Untitled by brewerJP

Some info about the box:

- It's 7.5"w x 5"h x 13"l, inner dimensions.
- Fully hinged lid.
- Locking Draw Hasp
- .080" 3003 aluminum
- Powdercoated black
- Subpanel for electronics

This was $100 shipped. Mind you - a good portion of that expense was in the powder coating alone. And pretty much everything about the box is customizable - the lid type, hinge, hasp, coating, etc. And Mark was really great to work with. It took them a couple of weeks to get out to me but most of that was time spent waiting for the powder coater to have availability.

Thanks! Ya everything on my brewstand is some derivative of silver so I thought it needed to be a different color. Also white text will stand out nice against that.

Back