Yet another homebrewer in North Texas!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtarrance

Reaction score
Hello to everyone from D/FW, Texas!

I decided to get into brewing after spending a week with a friend in Austin learning the in's an out's of how he brews his various kinds of beer. It was quite the learning experience, and I hadn't imagined it could be so easy! He's into all grain brewing now (he's been brewing for 10+ years), but went so far as to show me how an extract brew was made while I was there.

I got a 5 gallon glass carboy and a brew bucket (it's seen better days, not sure I should keep it. . .) from a friend when I got back home, and am going out to the local home-brew shop this weekend to fill in the blanks in my setup.

A quick google search of "beer brewing forum" turned up this site as the first result, so I figured I'd join! I am already overwhelmed with the abundant ammount of knowledge available in these forums! I look forward to participating where I can and learning everything that I can soak up!

So raise your glasses and drink them down, there's a new brewer in this part of town! :mug:

David

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I just picked up a bunch of brewing equipment that was listed on CraigsList for a dirt cheap price, so I'm anxious to get into the craft of brewing! Just need to clean up all this stuff, get new tubing and bungs and I should be good to go. I'll have to make a trip out to the HomeBrew HQ some time. I'm more on the Fort Worth side of town than Dallas, but I'm not afraid to travel!

As for my acquisition, here's what I picked up for $200...

• 15-gallon keg converted into a brew kettle with stainless ball-valve and spigot
  • custom built burner for use with the kettle
  • 2 glass carboys
  • 2 plastic fermentation buckets
  • 3 corny kegs
  • 20 lb. CO2 tank with regulator, hoses and fittings to tap 2 kegs
  • 2, 6-gallon stainless steel brewing kettles
  • 2 & 1/2 cases of bottles
  • Lots of misc stuff like: capper, caps, airlocks, stainless steel spoon, tubing, bungs, picnic taps, etc.

This should certainly help out as far as equipment goes! Now, if only I had a swimming pool to clean and sanitize all of this stuff in at once!

I also appreciate the offer of a brew buddy! All of my friends that are into brewing live down in Austin, so having someone locally could be very beneficial! I'd love to come over and take a look at your brewing process some time if that's alright with you. Just let me know next time you're ready to cook up a batch!

Just can't wait to get into full swing and start cranking out my own brews!

:mug:

David

Welcome, Looks like your off to a good start. I would second homebrew HQ, I have not been there yet but the brew stores over here are not so good, I have resorted to ordering.

Back