Sam Adams Small Batch Series

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smellgoats

Reaction score
Just picked these up after trying the Tasman Rye on draft at my local bar. Pretty excited, I know Sam Adams may not be the first choice for a lot of people on here, but I've always though they do a good job with their specialty beers for being a bigger brewery. Anyone try these yet? Thoughts?

photo(2).jpg

I'll have to give them a try if I see them in the store. I like their Boston Lager, but they're not a brewery that I'd trust to pick up any single-variety 6-pack without fear. Their samplers are like russian roulette. I've had pretty good luck with their Imperial series...let's hope that this new series of beers represent a new leaf for their regular fare...

I'm interested in these two though...especially Dark Depths. It says Baltic IPA...which to me is an over-hopped porter? I really like Baltic Porters, so hopefully it's not just a hop-fest that clouds the flavors...let me know what you think of it!

I've had both, they were ok, nothing special. However the chocolate chili bock was pretty good. Some interesting spices in there.

Never seen or heard of the baltic ipa but ive tried the others-pretty good.Even the spring beer they have in sixers is part of the small batch series spring release thats pretty decent also.

I tried both the Baltic IPA and the Tasman Red recently and they were just ok. IMO Sam Adams just doesn't do IPA very well.

I haven't had those two but I thought Third Voyage (Simcoe IIPA IIRC) and Vixen (I believe the chocolate chili bock) weren't bad for Sam Adams beers. I also find Sam Adams VERY hit or miss, and more often than not a miss. I've heard good things about the Tasman Red.

BUCKNUTS said:
I tried both the Baltic IPA and the Tasman Red recently and they were just ok. IMO Sam Adams just doesn't do IPA very well.

I agree with that sentiment. Never really liked the latitude 48 ipa as much as the other offerings out there.

Ive liked all the small batch series pretty much.Maybe not in my top 10 of the style but still very decent.Maybe a few a little more than others.They have this salty thing going on it seems consistantly. Definatly worth trying with the moderate price probably worth more really.

I really disliked the Baltic ipa. The bitterness his harsh and grating. And completely out of balance at that. I taste no malt character all, it's so overwhelmed by the hops.

I've had the Vixen chocolate chili bock and I'm drinking the Dark Depths Baltic IPA right now. Neither one was bad but they weren't great either. They did a good job making the beers sound interesting but they both came up short of my expectations. I also have the Cinder Bock sitting in the fridge. Probably another bottle of meh.

I really disliked the Baltic ipa. The bitterness his harsh and grating. And completely out of balance at that. I taste no malt character all, it's so overwhelmed by the hops.

Did someone say overwhelmed by the hops?:eek: Think i seen Ipa after the baltic. Now im getting it for shure. Ill let the hops have their way with me.

I also tried Third Voyage (Double IPA). It was pretty good. Good enough that I'd be willing to try some of the other small batch versions.

jonmohno said:
Did someone say overwhelmed by the hops?:eek: Think i seen Ipa after the baltic. Now im getting it for shure. Ill let the hops have their way with me.

What's the point of making a Baltic ipa if you can't taste any of the malt character. I like hoppy beers as much as the next guy, but if you're taking a Baltic porter and adding some serious hop character to it shouldn't it be at least somewhat balanced?

Had their Blonde Barley Wine from this series....it was, uh...different. At first didn't care for it at all, once it warmed up a bit got a little better.

Overall, I'm generally quite dissapointed in even their small batch stuff, always seems lacking. I probably wouldn't buy another bottle of this, but it was one of the *better* SA I've had in awhile.

I had the Blonde Barley Wine last night. It was pretty disappointing. As KIAKiller said, it got better as it warmed up. It just wasn't in your face enough for an american barley wine. Actually, now that I think about it, other than the warming effect from the alcohol, there wasn't really anything about it that resembled a barleywine. Definitely won't buy again.

The Griffin's Bow Barleywine is actually pretty good. Posted another thread about it, before I saw this one.

We actually have a thread started last year when these hit the market.

This is what I wrote back in Nov.

I'm drinking the Tasman now...MEH. Not impressed. I love Ipas, but this is just puckeringly bitter. Almost tongue burning so....It say it's supposed to be balanced with maltiness, but I'm not getting any of that.

I've got the DIPA as well, but if it's anything like this, I won't be buying it again.

And after trying the Third Voyage, I still wasn't impressed. Cool bottles, but that's about it.

Tried the Tasman this weekend at a bar and didn't like it at all. Bitter, harsh, and left an almost dry feeling in the back of my throat like I'd accidentally inhaled a tiny bit of sawdust. Normally like Sam Adams, but think the missed on this (and on the new Alpine Spring).

What is this stuff selling for across the country? I saw some last weekend at the liquor store for 9 bucks a bottle and couldn't bring myself to try it due to the general 'meh' feeling I have about most of SA's beer.

Paid 7 for mine, which was about as much as I was willing to part with for a try.

IffyG said:
What is this stuff selling for across the country? I saw some last weekend at the liquor store for 9 bucks a bottle and couldn't bring myself to try it due to the general 'meh' feeling I have about most of SA's beer.

I only paid $4.99 each that's about what it's worth..

Revvy said:
We actually have a thread started last year when these hit the market.

This is what I wrote back in Nov.

And after trying the Third Voyage, I still wasn't impressed. Cool bottles, but that's about it.

I think the bottle definitely was the initial selling point for me, a much better style than the traditional Sam Adams labels. I like Boston lager alright if I'm in like an airport for example (which is frequent) other wise Sam family of brands isn't really my thing either

What's the point of making a Baltic ipa if you can't taste any of the malt character. I like hoppy beers as much as the next guy, but if you're taking a Baltic porter and adding some serious hop character to it shouldn't it be at least somewhat balanced?

Age it a bit,problem solved for your tastes,maybe?. Im not big on SA,the small batch series is pretty good and for the moderate price i think they are worth trying.I wasnt disapointed wasnt overly impressed either, but wasnt planning to get another bottle any time soon either. Havent had the Baltic yet. Damnit now i gotta try these again.Ha.

I have tried Tasman Red as well as Third Voyage. I thought both were sub-par. I was pretty excited when I read the description of Third Voyage. But then I tasted it and it reminded me of some kind of medicine. I really had to choke that one down.

My beer store has had a deal going on this week where you buy one of these beers for $4.99 and get a FREE 22oz Sam Adams glass with each one!

I have tried
Tasman Red, Dark Depths, Griffin's Bow Barleywine x2, and the Cinder Bock x2

The Griffin's Bow seems like it can be really good if aged for over a year....but I cannot wait that long. I didn't like it in its current state. I was very pleasantly surprised by the Cinder Bock and went back to buy another of them...I'll go buy two more today whether or not the glassware is still included...it's nice beer at a good price. I did not like the other two.

Back