Allagash style Witbier... Is it feasible? Any successes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irenicus

Reaction score
After lurking on these forums for a few weeks and learning about the brewing process, malting gluten-free grains, ect. I'm about ready to attempt my first my first gluten-free brewing after having Celiacs for almost two years now.

I've seen the success that people have had with the shocktop-esque beer, but was wondering if anyone has had any success with imitating a witbier like Allagash White or something like Hoegarden? I'm determined to make the attempt using the shocktop recipe as a basic guide; I'm going to attempt brewing my first beer doing all GF grains. Just wanted to see if anyone has brewed anything similar and if one were to attempt it, what mix of grains would be appropriate? The one thing that gives me hope in the project is that Witbiers derive a tremendous amount of their flavor from the yeast used, I suppose the biggest hurdle is finding a way to mimic the body of a non-GF Witbier.

From my understanding Millet is most similar to wheat nutritionally, but quinoa is closest in flavour? Possibly the inclusion of GF oats in order to fortify the body slightly?

I think its entirely feasible. I would use Sorgum/millet and oats. Use a bit of turbinado sugar. Can you keep the temperature higher? If so then I would consider using a Saison yeast strain. The yeast will give you a lot of complexity that you can't get from other yeasts.

Gluten free brewing has not been mastered....If you've tried most the commercially avaliable products they aren't that good. I'm sure what you make will be better.

As for spices I would use coriander/star anise and orange peel in small amounts. Too much orange peel can really spoil a beer...Unless you like orange flavor to the extreme. Use noble hops in moderation.

Excellent, thank you. When you say Sorghum do you mean doing a hybrid brew using something like the Breiss extract + home malted grains like millet/oats? And yes, the gluten-free beers available leave a lot to be desired, especially considering how expensive some of them are.

Back