Broken Hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpbergie

Reaction score
I broke my hydrometer last time i Brewed and didnt replace it in time to bottle. I can take a reading from one of the bottles when i get a replacement right? Carbonation wont affect the reading?

I'm not sure whether or not the carbonation will or not, but if it does you can just let the beer go flat and check then.....however, the priming sugar will add a little bit of gravity but probably not enough to notice.

I guess you could, but there really isn't any reason to check the f.g. after bottling. The only reason I check it when fermentation is over is to ensure that fermentation is truly done before I bottle. You don't want to bottle before fermentation is complete, but if it's already bottled (and it appeared to be done), then no worries!

Yooper Chick said:
I guess you could, but there really isn't any reason to check the f.g. after bottling. The only reason I check it when fermentation is over is to ensure that fermentation is truly done before I bottle. You don't want to bottle before fermentation is complete, but if it's already bottled (and it appeared to be done), then no worries!

It did appear to be done, but i took the time to get an OG, so i just was curious at this point.

Back