New brew pot spigot is leaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agusus

Reaction score
So I was all excited for the first brew with my new 9 gallon brew pot, and had the mash water at strike temp in it, when I noticed it's leaking from the spigot. It's coming from the threaded "close nipple", at the threaded joint on the brewpot (not at the point where the threading joins with the ball valve). About 1 drop per second.
So now I had to switch back to my old 5g pot and am mashing in that now.

Did I do something wrong? Or is the pot defective? It's this one:
http://www.homebrewing.org/ONE-WELD-9-Gallon-Stainless-Steel-pot-_p_1683.html
which I posted about a few weeks ago:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/whats-benefit-spigot-your-brew-pot-232980/

I got the brass ball valve and close nipple as the owner of the store told me I would need.
The close nipple is a two-way threaded pipe (http://www.homebrewing.org/12-X-12-close-nipple-2_p_1446.html), and I screwed it in to the ball valve and pot as far as I could get it with hand tightening. Should I take a wrench to it? I don't want to get it stuck on there cause I'll need to take it off for cleaning sometimes I assume.

If it is leaking from the treads, use some teflon tape. I would go around the threads about 6 times, then reassemble, with a wrench. If you used the teflon tape or it looks like it has it on it then use a wrench for a little "snugging up". Traditionally as things heat, they expand and that can cause a leak...which means you probably will not be able to loosen it unless it is warmed up.

If it is leaking from the weld then you need to contact the people that made it and arrange for a return/exchange or get it welded up locally...

You really don't need to tighten the crap out of these things. If it's leaking, take it apart and put more teflon tape on it as suggested above.

I usually do 4-5 wraps with the tape. Make sure you're wrapping in the same direction as the threads, this will keep the tape from being removed as you thread the fitting on.

BTW, put tape on both sides of the close nipple. The part that screws into the brewpot and the side the you screw the ball valve onto.

Ok... I don't have any teflon tape. I wish they would say that on websites that are selling these brewpots. I doubt many people know they need to leak test the pot with hot water several days before brew day.
Well, I'll try the teflon thing when I can get to Home Depot. I find it hard to imagine how it will be possible to screw in a threading that is already quite tight after adding tape around it, but I'll believe it when I see it.
Thx.

the tape is very thin, as you screw it in the tape fills the gaps between the threads - which is where the water is currently leaking from. You're right, I'm sure you'll understand as soon as you do it.

Ok... I don't have any teflon tape. I wish they would say that on websites that are selling these brewpots. I doubt many people know they need to leak test the pot with hot water several days before brew day.
Lucky the teflon tape is cheap. It is also assumed to be used on all treaded plumbing. As for testing before brew day, you sure better, unless you like to invent swear words!

Well, I'll try the teflon thing when I can get to Home Depot. I find it hard to imagine how it will be possible to screw in a threading that is already quite tight after adding tape around it, but I'll believe it when I see it.
Thx.
Protip: if you can not use a wrench on it buy some channel lock water pump pliers, if you do not have some and use a small peice of leather so you do not "bugger up the threads" when you put the wrench on it.

I would disassemble the pieces, add the tape, assemble with wrench to the point where it is nice and snug, then fill it up all the way while checking for leaks, open the valve, drain some out then bring it to a boil, If you have no leaks, you are golden. If you have a leak, drain the water out and tighten it up while it is warm and test again.

GL!

Zamial said:
Not to be a jerk but this is wrong. Unless plumbers have all started using something different, every threaded piece of pipe/plumbing I have ever seen has used teflon tape.

+1. I use it on every fitting required to hold pressure of sole sort.

Im a steam fitter trust me its the bigest miss conception it is my trade.. your not a jerk at all its a lubricant for threads try this experiment take a pice of pipe put teflon tape on it thread it into a fitting it in all the way un thread it how much tape is left on those threads? When teflon is burnt it off gases into a posion gas cannot remember what but if it has a chance to get burnt I wouldn't us it...

I understand the dynamics of teflon tape...lol. I also can pretty much guarantee that every person that has a ball valve on any of their equipment has used teflon tape on it.

In order for the teflon tape tape to burn you need to run the BK empty for a long enough time to burn the tape. I suspect that the O-rings and the rubber on the valve handle would also be burning at this point...In other words...No one but the village idiot would have to worry about "burning the teflon tape" as it is applied to the BK because no one would run the BK empty untill it is mostly all glowing red/orange...Please stop trying to scare people with "technical correctness". It gets REALLY old around here...

And just so we all know what kind of temps are needed to melt teflon tape: High melting points (327°C [621°F] for Teflon PTFE; 260°C [500°F] for Teflon FEP, and 305°C [582°F] for Teflon PFA)

It is IMPOSSIBLE to achieve these temps under a normal brewing process...so please stop the fear mongering...

You're both right and wrong. Yes, teflon tape is for sealing and it performs this task via lubrication.

" The use of PTFE tape in tapered pipe threads performs a lubricating function, which more easily allows the threads to be screwed together, to the point of deformation, which is what creates the seal."

Enjoy. Always keep an open mind. No one knows everything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread_seal_tape

LeeIII said:
You're both right and wrong. Yes, teflon tape is for sealing and it performs this task via lubrication.

" The use of PTFE tape in tapered pipe threads performs a lubricating function, which more easily allows the threads to be screwed together, to the point of deformation, which is what creates the seal."

Enjoy. Always keep an open mind. No one knows everything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread_seal_tape

Exatcly the tapered threads create the seal the lubricant of the tape allows this...

Zamial said:
I understand the dynamics of teflon tape...lol. I also can pretty much guarantee that every person that has a ball valve on any of their equipment has used teflon tape on it.

In order for the teflon tape tape to burn you need to run the BK empty for a long enough time to burn the tape. I suspect that the O-rings and the rubber on the valve handle would also be burning at this point...In other words...No one but the village idiot would have to worry about "burning the teflon tape" as it is applied to the BK because no one would run the BK empty untill it is mostly all glowing red/orange...Please stop trying to scare people with "technical correctness". It gets REALLY old around here...

And just so we all know what kind of temps are needed to melt teflon tape: High melting points (327°C [621°F] for Teflon PTFE; 260°C [500°F] for Teflon FEP, and 305°C [582°F] for Teflon PFA)

It is IMPOSSIBLE to achieve these temps under a normal brewing process...so please stop the fear mongering...

Not scaring ayone just saying if he is not getting a good seal there is better alternatives.. I was more worried of a turkey fryer's flame.. hitting the tape...

I had a similar problem with my thermowell on my new kettle, and it has the plumbers tape on it. I found after about 15 min into my first brew it sealed itself up, I think the connections just needed to settle.

Let's see what the manufacturer suggests...I sent them an e-mail and they replied...here it is:

To: [email protected]
Sent: Fri, April 8, 2011 12:58:43 PM
Subject: Adventures in Homebrewing : Contact Form

first_name: xxx
last_name: xxx
email: [email protected]
address: xxx road
city_state: xxx
zip: xxx

comment: Hello, I have a new ONE WELD 9 Gallon Stainless Steel pot (PRE-ORDER) with fittings. The fittings seem to be leaking at the threads. What is your recommended fix? BTW, I did nothing to the fittings like using a thread lock or teflon tape. Thanks!

Re: Adventures in Homebrewing : Contact Form
"[email protected]" <[email protected]> [Chat now]
Add to Contacts

You need to use teflon on metal to metal threads.

Cheers!

JAson

Adventures in Homebrewing
23869 Van Born RD
Taylor, MI 48180
(313) 277 BREW (2739)
www.Homebrewing.org

Kthxbye...

Actually, it's probably wort that was seeping that got caramelized and not it's not leaking anymore. I went through that myself!

M_C
I had a similar problem with my thermowell on my new kettle, and it has the plumbers tape on it. I found after about 15 min into my first brew it sealed itself up, I think the connections just needed to settle.

Latest posts

Back