my first chocolate stout recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LyonsViper27

Reaction score
My favorite beer is Young's Double Chocolate stout. I was looking at clone recipes but decided that i wanted to try my own for the first time. i kinda took bits and pieces from other recipes, but would love for some tweaking/suggestions from you guys.

Steeped for 60mins @ 150*F
1 lb Chocolate Malt (350 SRM) 9.26%
1/2 lb Oats Flaked (1 SRM) 4.63%
1/2 lb Roasted Barley (300 SRM) 4.63%

The Boil
5 lb Dark Dry Extract (17.5 SRM) 46.30%
3.3 lb Amber Liquid Extract (12.5 SRM) 30.56%
2 oz. Fuggles Hops @ 60mins
1 lb Fat Free Coco Powder @ 10mins

SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04)

1 Split Vanilla bean in the secondary

est OG 1.069
est FG 1.018
est Color 41.1
IBU 13.5

The main things im concerned about is the amount of coco powder and the IBU. I am a huge fan of the malty taste not so much of hops.
Thanks for the help!

in order to figure out the IBU, you need to know what AA the fuggles are, but you can assume about 5%, so that would give you about 33 IBU (rager forumula). and for a stout at 1.069, that shouldn't overwhelm anything, and might even be a little low. you might even consider a late hop addition of goldings, fuggles, or if you want a little american kick, a half ounce of cascade between 5 and 0 minutes.

i think your steeping grains look good, but i can't remember what addition the oats make if they're only steeped without something to convert them. maybe they will still add some character, but won't add fermentables without a base malt to convert them.

i can't really comment on the chocolate/vanilla additions, but be careful with that vanilla bean... sample often to make sure it doesn't overwhelm the flavor.

Def let us know how that turns out -- I LOVE Youngs and wanna try an extract version, since I'm too scurred to try AG (that and I dont have the means to)

If it's unsweetened cocoa powder it will add bitterness to the finished beer. I've made a chocolate stout twice recently, and the second go around I cut back on the hops a bit because the bitterness was too much. I've never used cocoa in the boil, but I add it to my mash, about 8oz for a 10 gallon batch. The flavor is very very subtle, but the chocolate stands out well in the aroma. Android's calculations for 33 IBU seem right to me, not the 13.5 you have. I would probably drop to 1oz Fuggles @ 60min, 1oz Fuggles for 10min which would put you at about 21 IBUs. As to how much bitterness the cocoa powder will add, from my experience it's quite a bit, so you may want to add a little less than 1lb, because if it turns out to be too bitter there's really nothing you can do to fix it. On the other hand, if there isn't enough chocolate, you could always add some to the secondary, either in powder or syrup form(cocoa powder, sugar, water, vanilla extract).

A full pound of chocolate in the boil? I brewed the AHS double chocolate kit. It came with 1 oz chocolate. I added another oz. Two ounces last 10 minutes of the boil. When I racked it looked like all the chocolate settled out. The yeast cake looked like chocolate pudding. I put another 4 ounces of chocolate liqueur in the secondary. Probably should have put it in at bottling. It's only been bottled for three weeks but the one I tried didn't have a chocolate taste at all. Very good, but very little chocolate. There is a thread below that talks about Young's and others that add their chocolate at bottling not the boil. Says the chocolate will just settle out like mine did.

Back