Raleigh Grain Buy - Phase II

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HOLY DONG!

Reelale, you have gone to too much trouble. Thank you very very much.

I agree, kudos to you good sir.

outstanding. You rock Reelale.

Let me know if I can hep with the delivery in some way. I live in Cary, but am closer to downtown Apex than downtown Cary.... a few miles south of the point where hwy 64 and hwy 1 meet.

My garage is largely cleaned out, so I could hold onto things in the south cary area for anyone that wants me to.... plus, I made daily drives to Durham (RTP), so I can shuttle bags up that way if necessary.

Aw, shucks. Wern't nuthin.;)

And Walker, that sounds like a great idea. I know Howie won't be able to pick his up, and he lives in Raleigh. I told him I would hold it, but I'm quite a bit further than Cary. I'm betting that there will be more that need arrangements before next Saturday. Thanks for offering.

And Walker, that sounds like a great idea. I know Howie won't be able to pick his up, and he lives in Raleigh. I told him I would hold it, but I'm quite a bit further than Cary. I'm betting that there will be more that need arrangements before next Saturday. Thanks for offering.

No problem. The garage is dry, but ain't exactly 'cool' right now, so I don't want to store stuff there for a long time, but hanging onto it for a few days shouldn't be an issue.

My neighbors will think I've gone off the deep end, crawling over sacks of barley trying to set up by brewing rig....

DO we need a Phase III thread to handle end-user distribution? :D

Ha! If we do, I ain't volunteering! Hopefully most everyone can pick-up on Saturday, or make arrangements.

Is there an approximate time for the pick-up? My kids have soccer Saturday mornings, from noon on I am free.

If anyone wants me to pick up and hold for them (assuming I myself can make it to the pick-up), you'll have to PM me so I know.

nevermind... isee the pick-up details on the earlier post.

I won't be able to make the pick-up because of the soccer.

I guess I need someone (Dallas?) to pick my sack up for me.

Just a thought I had....For those that bought several bags, how do you store it? Or do you just brew that much? I'm kinda worried about bug problems given our fabulous summer weather. Anybody had any problems with this? Right now, I'm storing in 5 gallon buckets. But that was during the winter...

Just a thought I had....For those that bought several bags, how do you store it? Or do you just brew that much? I'm kinda worried about bug problems given our fabulous summer weather. Anybody had any problems with this? Right now, I'm storing in 5 gallon buckets. But that was during the winter...

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. I can go through a 55lb sack in 3 months or so (I'm brewing every couple of weeks), so my one sack won't be a big deal (hallway closet with the dogfood.... cool/dry/bug-free), but Dallas has close to 300lbs coming his way.
:drunk:

I brew at about the same rate as you. I dunno....maybe cold-storage? Or a nano-brewery on the side?

I bought a 50lb sack at the start of the year and broke it down into 4lb and 2lb portions and put it in a small chest freezer in vacuum sealed bags. That grain is almost gone, so I could re-fill the freezer with this new sack, but I think that vacuum sealing and freezing was probably overkill.

I'm going to just put it in the closet this time.... maybe freeze a portion of it or something.... dunno.

I've heard of several methods of storage.

I've been keeping grain out in my garage without any problems whatsoever. Some of it has been in grocery bags within those small cooler sacks. I personally think a tightly sealed "homer bucket" would be fine.

There are containers made for dog food that you can buy and store grain in. I've stored it year round this way. I've heard of people storing it in much worse conditions and being fine.

I store mine in some big rubbermaid containers. They seal up tightly and the size I use holds a 55 lb sack's-worth perfectly. They're also stackable and easy to get grain out of when needed. I keep mine in the house though, I'd be worried about the temps in the garage in the summer.

Wow! Great news! I'll PM you shortly.

I store my grain in 5 gallon buckets supplemented by tightly sealed bags. I would just use the bags but they're too flimsy. Should be little to no outside O2 getting in. I store the buckets in a cool closet.

First let me add my thanks to Reelale. Without you this would not have come off. Regarding the grain storage, I plan to put mine in a metal garbage can or in plastic 5 gallon pails I place in the freezer. My concern with storing in plastic in the garage is mice getting into the grains.

Reelale,

Thanks a lot for taking this on, i'm sure it made you question your sanity a couple times. I'll be there on saturday at 0900.

and i'll be keeping my eyes out for more ways to store the grain once i get it, this is my first major grain purchase.

Thanks again, a great job.
Nate

As Reelale mentioned, I cannot make the pickup point on Saturday morning.

Can someone grab my three bags of grain and hold them? I live in NE Raleigh if anyone in that area can do it. I can probably come pick them up Saturday afternoon or sometime during the following week.

I'll be there Saturday morning. I have a little truck with a cap so I'll be picking up mine, Folster's, Walkers, and Howie I work at Falls and Spring Forest so I could grab yours too and get it to you anytime the following week.

Reelale, take what Dressel owe's you out of the extra I paid, he's my bud and I ended up sending you like $10 too much anyway. I won't be able to make the Saturday pickup but I'll see if Dressel can grab mine...

Reelale, take what Dressel owe's you out of the extra I paid, he's my bud and I ended up sending you like $10 too much anyway. I won't be able to make the Saturday pickup but I'll see if Dressel can grab mine...

No way man. That's cutting into my profit margin. I figure with what you guys tipped, minus my labor, fuel, and mental anguish, I'm ahead about $2.36. You want me to do this for free?

P.S. The original post was a joke.;)

Can anyone in the Raleigh area pick up my malt for me? I won't be able to make the pickup unfortunately but I live in Brier Creek and am willing to pick it up anywhere in the Raleigh area next week. If anyone can do that you would be the man!

I'll be there Saturday morning. I have a little truck with a cap so I'll be picking up mine, Folster's, Walkers, and Howie I work at Falls and Spring Forest so I could grab yours too and get it to you anytime the following week.

That would be awesome. I'll plan on getting them Monday. Unless you start work at some ridiculously early time, maybe Monday morning.

My wife is out of town all of that week. I'm planning to do some crazy brewing!!

Hey man, can you possibly pick up my grain as well?

No problem for both Howie and Basisforaday. I get into work around 9Am its AM for those that don't work with me like Folster :-D Don't much have a desire to schlep over to Brier Creek but can meet somewhere more central or it'll be in my truck at the office all day long.

Literally the corner of Falls and Spring Forest. PM me if you want my cell.

I could deliver to Brier Creek. I've got to meet Dallas to get my grain, so I can grab yours from him, too. Then, on a weekday, I can bring the grain to work with me and meet you near Brier Creek. It's only about 10 minutes from my office.

Had no clue there was a Walmart there. I'll be there at 9:00 am Saturday.

If anything 'comes open'....I'd be most interested!
I'm in F.V. Just let me know!!
Thanks!

I'm thinking we need to go ahead and start another round. Seems like there's interest. If no one else wants to run it, I can. I don't have a loading dock to drop them off at though.

So anyway I swing it, it looks like I wont be able to make it there at 9 am on Saturday. Is there anyone willing to pick up my sack of Maris Otter for me please?? I live in SW Raleigh by Lake Johnson and have no troubles driving anywhere to pick it up at a later time. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could help me out.

Hey there....

I had said earlier that I wouldn't be able to make it to the pick-up, but it looks like I actually MIGHT be able to.

My kids have soccer on Saturday mornings, but my daughter has a bye this week and I think my son's game isn't until 10:30am.

I'll check that for sure when I get home, but if this is true, I'd be able to come and get my grain and probably pick-up and hold a few other people's stuff.

WOOT! Just got the packing slip via email. She also sent all of the malt analysis sheets. If anyone wants copies, pm me and I'll get them to you. See you Saturday.

:(Can't attach files to PM's. I have all of the malt analysis sheets, except for TF-MOPA. They are scanned as pdf files, and even when zipped, are too large to post here. If you want a copy, PM your email and I'll send it that way.

No problem for both Howie and Basisforaday. I get into work around 9Am its AM for those that don't work with me like Folster :-D Don't much have a desire to schlep over to Brier Creek but can meet somewhere more central or it'll be in my truck at the office all day long.

Literally the corner of Falls and Spring Forest. PM me if you want my cell.

I should be able to meet you Monday morning as you get to the office. That's not too far from me.

THANKS!!

Just to double check. At the moment I'm picking up Howie's grain and possibly Walker's and Basisforaday's.

Kirbster, I live on the opposite side of the county from you so maybe we could leave your sack at Walker's? Yeah I'm volunteering him :)

Anyone else need a temporary storage place?

Kirbster, I live on the opposite side of the county from you so maybe we could leave your sack at Walker's? Yeah I'm volunteering him :)

No problem. I can store some stuff. Lake Johnson is about 15 minutes from my house, and I pass REALLY close by it on my way to work (I come up 64 and then get onto I-40 west on my way to Durham.)

Just to double check. At the moment I'm picking up Howie's grain and possibly Walker's and Basisforaday's.

I can *probably* be there, but it's not guaranteed. Keep your cell handy Saturday morning, Dallas.

If I can make it there, I could bring all the other stuff I have for you (your camera and the stuff we ordered from AHS last week, which should be arriving today.)

If I can't make it to the malt drop location, I guess I'll have to come over to your house on Sunday and drink.... err... I mean, "exchange goods".

anxiously awaiting the $15.00 "call-ahead" phone call from the trucking agency informing when I can expect them.....

Walker, I sent you a pm. Thanks IdahoDal for the mandatory volunteer. I would be willing to meet anywhere to pick it up. I do not mind driving any distance. But now its back to brewing.

Back