How much does yeast change from one generation to the next

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Challenger440

Reaction score
When yeast washing?

I ask because I have washed some WLP001 that I used for a porter and am thinking of using it for a wheat beer. How much different would this yeast cause my wheat beer to taste if I were to use it (as opposed to a new vial of WLP001).

I've never tried brewing a dark beer, then using the yeast for a lighter colored beer, so I don't know the answer in that situation. I've used washed yeast for 3 or 4 generations, brewing similar colored beers, and have not noticed any variations. I once used 6th generation yeast, and found that it behaved very differently than the original. That's why I don't use more than 3 or 4 generations nowadays. I have no doubt that I could re-use it more often if my sanitation was better, but we're talking about pennies per brew by this time.

-a.

It will be fine.

Better than fine. There are rare instances where you wouldn't want to propagate a yeast from one beer style to another, like a super hoppy IPA to a light cream ale.

I say take the yeast you've washed...cut it in half...use half now and refrigerate the other half for a future brew.

From what I've read, I believe that certain characteristics of the yeasts (i.e. the flocculation and alcohol tolerance) are selectively weeded out by harvesting the yeast at different points in the fermentation process. Even so, I imagine it's not that great of a difference within 1 generation difference.

I would expect the trub to influence the flavor more than the yeast changing. And, if you washed it, I imagine it will change it very little.

When yeast washing?

I ask because I have washed some WLP001 that I used for a porter and am thinking of using it for a wheat beer. How much different would this yeast cause my wheat beer to taste if I were to use it (as opposed to a new vial of WLP001).

Well, untill Kai comes along, I'll say not very d*nm much. After about 6 iterations you may see some small changes. If you keep brewing the same brew forever, it will finally develope into a strain. Then you can sell it to one of the yeast dealers.:)

I also want to add that I recovered the yeast from the secondary (21 day primary, 7 day secondary). I've been searching the forums and have read a few posts saying that yeast recovered from the secondary are more likely to be stressed. Is there any truth to that?

I also want to add that I recovered the yeast from the secondary (21 day primary, 7 day secondary). I've been searching the forums and have read a few posts saying that yeast recovered from the secondary are more likely to be stressed. Is there any truth to that?

When you put them in a new starter solution, those cells will reproduce and die off pretty quickly, their offspring have the same DNA. It may take a bit longer timewise to get your desired cellcount but all is well, because count and DNA are what you are seeking.

Back