test batches....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jersh

Reaction score
So the scientist in me is ready to start doing some experimenting with my brewing. I've got about 10 batches under my belt, all but one of which have been AG, and I feel very comfortable with my technique/process. I think the major thing holding me back from being able to develop my own recipes based on logic rather than just random guessing is my overall lack of experience/knowledge with various hops and yeast strains. So I've decided I'm going to start mixing in some controlled test brews. I don't know that I want to do full 5 gallon batches as experiments, that seems like a good way to waste a lot of beer if I end up with something that I do not like. My idea is to go ahead and prepare enough wort for a final volume of 5 gallons, however I'll split the wort into two brew kettles and use a different type of hops in each kettle, and then split each of those into two batches and use a different yeast strain in each. So that will essentially give me 4 different flavor profiles from the same original wort, which should hopefully give me a better idea of how different hops and yeast taste. I plan on using a simple recipe, most likely I'll go with something like EdWorts Haus Pale Ale recipe. Does anyone have any suggestions that I may be missing for test batches like this? Also, my LHBS sells small 2 gallon ferm buckets, will they handle a volume of 1.25 gallons without fear of a beer geyser? Thanks for any input!

Back