Fermentation Period of a Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mellowmarshall

Reaction score
My brother had a batch in primary for almost a month, and now in secondary for another 2 weeks, at room temp the whole time. This is a coffee stout. It seems like most people are fermenting for much shorter periods. Is this too long?

**EDIT**

After reading some FAQ, I see this isn't unusual.

From all I have read on here it is not. Just let the yeasties do there thing but someone who knows something will be along to confirm this. What is your SG doing?

I fermented my imperial stout for 1.5 weeks - OG 1.115. Of course I double pitched and fed the yeasties nutrient every other day. I then secondaried for 2 weeks - FG 1.038. They have now been in the bottles conditioning for well over 2 months. Some age in the secondary but I needed my ale pail for other uses so Im ageing in bottle. They just keep getting better with age... I like to have about 1per week to taste the progress :):drunk:

TxT

I usually primary everything for about a month, so if you racked to secondary after a month for a period of 2 weeks, I think that is perfect. Still need to condition in the bottle for about another month, but I think you'll be fine.

I rarely use secondary, try this experiment, next stout you brew try an extended primary, do the 6 weeks just in the primary and see if there is any difference, even if you racked onto coffee, try adding it to the primary.

I only use secondary for fruit beers or other items that may actually cause a second fermentation. I even dry-hop in the primary.

Latest posts

Back