So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finishing my sparge and almost ready to voerlauf and begin boiling a big APA of my own design. Later I will bottle my cream ale and drink a few commercial beers found on sale... Yay!

Can you post the recipe pls, how much pepper are using ?

Sure I make 11 gallon batches, 13.5 gallons pre-boil collected in boil kettle. 11 gallons go into the fermenter and I end up with 10 gallons finished product. I will give you the percentages of the ingredients so you can scale it for a 5 gallon batch or whatever size you need. You can make it hoppier if you want and increase the IBU's but the hops should be in the background for this recipe and just balance the sweetness so you can taste/smell the citrus, and pick up the subtle spices. The yeast also is spicy so don't overdo the spice additions. This will get you started and you can adjust everything to your liking from here. Hope this helps.......

Belgian Wit
Effciency 80%
OG 1.048
ABV 4.8% - 5%
IBU 10
SRM 2.8
Pre-Boil Volume 13.5 gallons
Pre-Boil Gravity 1.042

7 Lbs. 12.6 ounces Weyermann Pilsner Malt 43.6%
7 Lbs. 12.6 ounces Flaked Wheat 43.6%
1 Lbs 13.6 ounces Flaked Oats 10.4%
6.9 ounces Weyermann Munich Malt 2.4%
2 Lbs Rice Hulls (1 pound per 5 gallon batch) not figured in grain bill, just added in during mash
1.56 ounces Hallertauer Mittelfrueh Hops (3.8% AA) added during boil with 60 min remaining
.50 ounce Crushed Indian Coriander Seed added during boil 5 min
2 ounces Fresh Orange Zest (3 Blood Oranges, 3 Minneola Tangelos) added during boil 5 min
1 gram Crushed Pepper Corns (I used 8 pieces each of Black, Pink, & Green peppercorns) from a container of pepper corn medley from store
1 Teaspoon Wyeast Yeast Nutrient added to boil 10 min
Wyeast 3944 Belgian Witbier (I used 2 packs made a 2 liter starter which made 439 billion cells, decant liquid, pitch slurry only)
Ferment at 68 degrees and let rise after fermentation slows to 70-72 degrees

I have a electric herms system and mashed at 122 degrees at first for a 30 min protein rest. This looks like New England Clam Chowder after you dough in. Then raise temp to 152 degrees for 90 minutes. Then mash out at 168 to 170 degrees for 15 minutes. It's unreal how it goes from thick milk to a beautiful pale white/straw colored color when you are done. I boiled at 60% power on my electric system for 1 hour, so it was bubbling strong but not crazy so as to not boil off to much volume. Hit my numbers perfectly.

If you decide to brew it report back!

John

Sure I make 11 gallon batches, 13.5 gallons pre-boil collected in boil kettle. 11 gallons go into the fermenter and I end up with 10 gallons finished product. I will give you the percentages of the ingredients so you can scale it for a 5 gallon batch or whatever size you need. You can make it hoppier if you want and increase the IBU's but the hops should be in the background for this recipe and just balance the sweetness so you can taste/smell the citrus, and pick up the subtle spices. The yeast also is spicy so don't overdo the spice additions. This will get you started and you can adjust everything to your liking from here. Hope this helps.......

Belgian Wit
Effciency 80%
OG 1.048
ABV 4.8% - 5%
IBU 10
SRM 2.8
Pre-Boil Volume 13.5 gallons
Pre-Boil Gravity 1.042

7 Lbs. 12.6 ounces Weyermann Pilsner Malt 43.6%
7 Lbs. 12.6 ounces Flaked Wheat 43.6%
1 Lbs 13.6 ounces Flaked Oats 10.4%
6.9 ounces Weyermann Munich Malt 2.4%
2 Lbs Rice Hulls (1 pound per 5 gallon batch) not figured in grain bill, just added in during mash
1.56 ounces Hallertauer Mittelfrueh Hops (3.8% AA) added during boil with 60 min remaining
.50 ounce Crushed Indian Coriander Seed added during boil 5 min
2 ounces Fresh Orange Zest (3 Blood Oranges, 3 Minneola Tangelos) added during boil 5 min
1 gram Crushed Pepper Corns (I used 8 pieces each of Black, Pink, & Green peppercorns) from a container of pepper corn medley from store
1 Teaspoon Wyeast Yeast Nutrient added to boil 10 min
Wyeast 3944 Belgian Witbier (I used 2 packs made a 2 liter starter which made 439 billion cells, decant liquid, pitch slurry only)
Ferment at 68 degrees and let rise after fermentation slows to 70-72 degrees

I have a electric herms system and mashed at 122 degrees at first for a 30 min protein rest. This looks like New England Clam Chowder after you dough in. Then raise temp to 152 degrees for 90 minutes. Then mash out at 168 to 170 degrees for 15 minutes. It's unreal how it goes from thick milk to a beautiful pale white/straw colored color when you are done. I boiled at 60% power on my electric system for 1 hour, so it was bubbling strong but not crazy so as to not boil off to much volume. Hit my numbers perfectly.

If you decide to brew it report back!

John

Cheers John - sounds awesome, currently doing a HERMS build at the moment, may wait until I’ve finished then try, I’ve tried pepper before in an English Light Ale, I used a lot more than the Wit and it wasn’t one I’d brew again! Will report back - Wassail - jk

Unseasonably cold here in upstate NY, but I needed to brew, dammit!
Did my take on a lichtenhainer. Mash pH was off, but hit OG right on the money.

Not the weekend, but I'm self employed, and the weather isn't conducive to getting any work done around the farm (there's still a foot of snow on the ground and 6-8 ft drifts around any obstructions which could catch snow).
So, I brewed the ESB I've had the ingredients on hand for since January.

hD55PX5.jpg

Unseasonably cold and weird weather here as well, so my plans got a bit screwed up. I'm experimenting with open fermentation using Black Sheep or Timothy Taylor yeast I have on slant. Including regular rousing in the fermentation is a new one for me, and I screwed up the last batch. I hope I've got a better handle on it now, and am currently getting ready with the last propagation stage for a brew on Thursday or Friday, the only reasonable days this week. I currently use my MLT, which is a bit of a PITA, but I love Yorkshire ales and want to lay some down in my cellar, so until I get a dedicated, 15-gallon or more open fermentor, my mash tun will be doing double duty.

A strong bitter at 14.5P OG, 2.5P FG, and 35 IBUs using Challenger, Northdown and First Gold (trying out Fuller's hopping regime as well, for the most part, in terms of adding at 3 minutes before knockout. Trying to parse a long WP and hop stand IBU contribution is going to be fully empirical, I believe).

2 or 2.5 gallon batch of a mosaic pale ale. Too often I think Mosaic hops are used in IPAs and just to bitter. It's all about the late additions. I made this once before with almost a quarter ounce saved for the last 15 minutes and a full ounce dry hop and my friends loved it. Like a tropical fruit punch cotton candy flavor.

Planning on making a Falconers Flight IPA tomorrow on my day off. Got some
New equipment to use and see how things turn out! Pretty excited!

Gonna take this weekend off because I just found out my family got tickets to TWO baseball games! One is a college game (Saturday) and the other is a minor league game (Sunday) .

Woop woop!

2 or 2.5 gallon batch of a mosaic pale ale. Too often I think Mosaic hops are used in IPAs and just to bitter. It's all about the late additions. I made this once before with almost a quarter ounce saved for the last 15 minutes and a full ounce dry hop and my friends loved it. Like a tropical fruit punch cotton candy flavor.
That's the way to go. I mash a bit higher for some sweetness and like a 60/90 calcium/chloride ratio for mouthfeel. Little white wheat wouldn't hurt.

Going to attempt my first partigyle, to make 5g ESB / 5g London Pride... well, except that I have cara bohemian instead of English crystal malt and not quite the right hops, but two strengths of bitter regardless.

Trying to take the weekend off from brewing, otherwise I'll be drowning in beer (although not a bad way to go). Three fermenters going now, and 4 kegs in the kegerator, with only one about to kick. Tomorrow going to hit up some pawn shops around here to see if I can't find something, like a chugger pump or temp controller, also the fabric store to get voile to make some new mash & hop bags. And if my wanderings take me anywhere near my LHBS....maybe a couple of pounds of special roast to do my american strong next weekend. And a wine thief so I don't have to break out the autosiphon every time I need to take a sample from the 7.5g carboy. Thank you bowling gods for letting my team win the league on points this year, giving me a nice payout last night.

Brewed up a falconers flight ipa today. First time using those hops so I’m excited to see how it comes out. Also, 2nd time using water adjustments!
IMG_2211.jpg
IMG_2214.jpg
IMG_2225.jpg

Just started cold crashing a Mandrin Blonde Ale with a little Citra hops.

Sunday I will keg the Blonde Ale and also brew a batch of AIPA.
Cheers to the weekend!

Just did a keg inventory, I've got TWO that are about to kick so brewing tomorrow. Just fiddled with the Caribou Slobber recipe to make something closer to a porter/stout, will add some oatmeal to the mash to make it chewy, and will do a reduction during the boil to up the maltiness. Will use willamette for all of the hops instead of the Goldings & Liberty, want the earthiness of the Willamette since I'm also adding 1/2lb of peated malt. Should wind up with something interesting.

I'm brewing an extract batch of pale ale. First batch in 3 years, but definitely not my last.
Well crap. I had planned to brew a batch this weekend, but I'm working at least 3 more hours, after being at work for 14 hours. Then right back to work tomorrow. I'm gonna have to brew on tuesday. When I get back home.

Just making a Cerveza from LME, nothing too adventurous. Actually started the process on Wednesday but without good temp control, I've been doing a lot of baby sitting.

Brew session for the weekend

Friday
-Strong Jalapeño blonde
-Mosaic Amarillo IPA

Yesterday
-Ekuanot, Amarillo, touch of mosaic, mango, roasted sarano pepper IPA
-chocolate coffee strong stout

Getting back to brewing this weekend with an attempt at a steam beer (ale temps with lager yeast) using a new yeast I have acquired, wlp800. It was nearly out of date so I grew it a bit in a starter over the weekend.

I am very excited and hopeful this works out well. I have no reason to doubt that it will be great!

Finished up a customer job in the wee hours this AM so I could do a brew today.
Then I overslept so I'm just hitting the ramp to mash out now :drunk:
20180424_134846.jpeg

Gonna be a long day...

Cheers!

[edit] Done and done. 10g of 'Murrican Wheaties in the chamber.
american_wheat_02.jpg

Happy...and hella pooped...

Last edited:
I am brewing this weekend.
Belgium tripel. My highest ABV brew and first yeast starter.

The starter seems to be going well.
Making up for the fact I only brought one pack of mangrove jacks belgium tripel dry yeast when I needed two.

I have a 50L pot in my eHERMS so MT volume should be ok but its more grain than I have had in it before. Lots of firsts for me this brew.

3L starter. Photo was last night and I got lots of CO2 when I shook it this morning.
20180425_191938.jpg

Going to do a Falconers Flight. Last time i tried it, ended dumping it all out. Tried a newly available locally grown grain. Was pretty bad. Time to experience the good stuff again. Love those hops.

Going to brew a steam beer with wlp800. First time doing anything like this though I love my California common. Hope all goes as planned.

Great start to prepping for tomorrows brew day. I went to rinse my bucket i use to transfer filtered water to my HLT. No outdoor light by my garden tap but the water looked dirty. The photo is what i saw when i got it under a light. Stunk of chlorine too :(.

We have been having problems with dirty water in the town supply intermittently since they decided to start chlorinating it a year ago. Filtered properly the water is good for brewing as it comes from an aquifer. They say the sediment is being released from the pipes by the chlorine as last year was the first time they chlorinated the water in the city.

I've been through two sedement filters so far. Still on my origional carbon filters though. Looks like i will be using filtered water for cleaning over the weekend brewday.

I better run the filter real slow as stronger than normal chlorine and an aging filter isnt ideal. If I get up early enough I might boil then alloe to cool to mash temps to drive off and chlorine thr filters don't get. I unfortunately havent got any campden tablets but thr filters do a good job. I do have spare carbon filters if the water fails the taste test.

20180427_180345.jpg

Just mashed in on an IPA that I'm using cryo hops for the first time. I'm also doing an amber ale tonight for a brew club competition that's coming up

My first belgium tripel is mashing now.

6.9kg of grain so my biggest mash yet.
With the false bottom in my 50L pot is working fine with the recirculation.

When i first built the setup i had some stuck or nearly stuck nashes but ever since I filed the pickup so it always leavs a gap for liquid to flow even inder the weight of the grain its been good but this being my miggeat mash to date and using mainly pilsner malt for thr first time it was an unknowen.

Currently recirculating with the pump output fully open and no issues.

The crush didn't seam as broken up as usual but grains that looked intact had cracked as they broke when handled. Maybe i should have crushed them again but too late now. Either my mill adjustment has slipped or its a characteristic of the gladfields german pilsner I'm using. The broken chinks seamed normal size.

20180428_120648.jpg
20180428_115840.jpg

Last edited:
Tomorrow I'm bottling a golden monkey tripel clone. Sunday I'm brewing another batch of boho pilsner with the recipe below. Last batch of this is just now ready to drink and came out awesome.

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Cannstatter Frühlingsfest Pils #2
Author: Meeee

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: Bohemian Pilsener
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 6 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.048
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.056
Final Gravity: 1.015
ABV (standard): 5.3%
IBU (tinseth): 44.27
SRM (morey): 5.96

FERMENTABLES:
7 lb - German - Pilsner (55.2%)
5 lb - Belgian - Pale Ale (39.4%)
0.25 lb - German - Acidulated Malt (2%)
0.425 lb - Belgian - Aromatic (3.4%)

HOPS:
1.15 oz - Jarrylo, Type: Pellet, AA: 10.7, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 39.8
1.5 oz - Hersbrucker, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 2.8, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 4.48

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temperature, Temp: 156 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 8.25 gal

YEAST:
Wyeast - Kölsch 2565
Starter: Yes
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 75%
Flocculation: Low
Optimum Temp: 56 - 70 F
Fermentation Temp: 56 F
Pitch Rate: 1.75 (M cells / ml / deg P)

Generated by Brewer's Friend - https://www.brewersfriend.com/
Date: 2018-04-28 03:12 UTC
Recipe Last Updated: 2018-04-28 03:03 UTC

Not brewing but filling up three kegs with my marathon 3 day brew weekend from 2 weeks ago. First time I've had grain on hand and not jonesing to brew....literally nowhere to put another one. Unless I do another lager that would need to sit for 3 weeks....and I'll have the carboy empty....jeez I hate this hobby sometimes. (NOT)

Back