AM Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwerl001

Reaction score
I recently started homebrewing and my first batch is American Wheat. It has been in primary fermentation for about five days. In the recipe it doesn't say when to switch to second carboy. When should I move to secondary fermentation.

If you are going to move it to secondary, you should do so when fermentation is complete. Take a couple of gravities over a couple of days, if no change then it's done. However, IMO, it is not necessary, especially with a Wheat beer, to transfer to a secondary. I would let it stay in primary for another week or so to clean itself up and then bottle/keg.

Cheers
:mug:

Ok so what is gravity test I am brand new at this also imo no clue what that means Haha. Everything has already dropped from the top. Recepy calls for 1 week to 2 weeks not sure how to tell. I guess I need some more equipment. If secondary is not necessary that is cool did not know. Bought the deluxe kit with two carboys I guess that's just for certain types of beer to double ferment.

Bought the deluxe kit with two carboys I guess that's just for certain types of beer to double ferment.
Unless you add more fermentables, the secondary carboy is a clearing vessel. The beer should be finished fermenting before it goes into a secondary and in most cases the same clarity can be achieved in the primary. Wheat beers are normally hazy, so there is no benefit to transferring it.

I am pretty new to this to. I will be doing my fifth batch this weekend, all grain cherry wheat. The biggest benefit I see to racking to secondary is to open up your primary and brew another batch. Keep everything sanitized if you rack to secondary and start brewing more.
:mug:

The biggest benefit I see to racking to secondary is to open up your primary and brew another batch.
If a wheat beer is ready to move to secondary, it's ready to bottle.

(Unless you're adding fruit.)

The recipe calls for one to two weeks. I know I need some more equipment but how are you sure when its done. Any recommendations on equipment. Thanks fellas.

Ok so what is gravity test I am brand new at this also imo no clue what that means Haha. Everything has already dropped from the top. Recepy calls for 1 week to 2 weeks not sure how to tell. I guess I need some more equipment. If secondary is not necessary that is cool did not know. Bought the deluxe kit with two carboys I guess that's just for certain types of beer to double ferment.

Did your kit come with a Hydrometer? If so, that is what you use to take a gravity. If not, they are cheap to buy and plenty of tutorials on how to use them on this site.

IMO = In My Opinion

I did a search on Youtube and this is the first of about 1 billion hits on hydrometers and and taking gravities.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back