Cold Crashing: How to prevent fluid / air from Contaminating?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnybrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to cold crash an ale that will have been in the primary for almost four weeks. I know that the change in temp will have a corresponding change in pressure within my carboy, potentially sucking any vodka from my airlock back into the carboy. Is there any way to prevent any fluid or air getting pulled back in? Or if not, what is the best method to ensure I don't introduce any unwanted contaminators? Thanks.

I want to cold crash an ale that will have been in the primary for almost four weeks. I know that the change in temp will have a corresponding change in pressure within my carboy, potentially sucking any vodka from my airlock back into the carboy. Is there any way to prevent any fluid or air getting pulled back in? Or if not, what is the best method to ensure I don't introduce any unwanted contaminators? Thanks.

I wouldn't worry about it, but if you feel like worrying about it, Bobby did a great brainstorm session over here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/temp-reduction-suckback-lets-brainstorm-152658/

...what is the best method to ensure I don't introduce any unwanted contaminators?

Maybe I am answering my own Q... I use three piece airlocks. I guess if I used the single piece for the cold crash it would bubble in reverse? Would that do the trick? It is still going to suck air through the fluid chamber. Will it get cleaned up by going through my vodka?

Maybe I am answering my own Q... I use three piece airlocks. I guess if I used the single piece for the cold crash it would bubble in reverse? Would that do the trick? It is still going to suck air through the fluid chamber. Will it get cleaned up by going through my vodka?

Well, I will answer more fully.

Since the suckback happens so late in the process, there is a nice pocket of CO2 waiting for your unsuspecting sucked in air when it gets in your fermenter. It will continue to blanket the beer while the air waits on top. They will diffuse eventually, but slowly (so dont cold crash for several weeks).

Oh, and nothing bad can live in the vodka.

Latest posts

Back