Doubled the quantity of yeast, perhaps...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerFun

Reaction score
Hi! I made Coopers Dark Ale, where I used WYeast instead of the one included. I added the yeast in the evening, and the morning after it had not begun to ferment. I panicked so I added the yeast that came with the set. I could have waited a bit to get to see if Wyeast would start I guess... Will the beer taste worse if Wyeast started when I added the second bag of yeast?

Hopefully the WYeast was dead. I think so cause I santized the bag in a cold iodophor solution and then rinsed it in cold water. Read that yeast die when the tempature changes suddenly.

Thanks in advance!

I coubt that killed the yeast. it can take upto 72 hours for visible signs of fermentation.

Odds are both are going to go to work. Shouldn't be an issue.

Next time you use liquid yeast, concider making a starter.

Hi, thanks for answering. WYeast has a "starter" bag where you crush the inner bag and then let it stay in a temperated room for 3-5 hours. The bag then dilate. Then one has to sanatize it before emptying it into the beer.

I hope the beer will great yes. :)

Hi, thanks for answering. WYeast has a "starter" bag where you crush the inner bag and then let it stay in a temperated room for 3-5 hours. The bag then dilate. Then one has to sanatize it before emptying it in the beer.

I hope the beer will great yes. :)

That's not a starter- that's an "activator pack". If the beer had an OG of 1.045 or less, a starter is not necessary. For bigger beers (and even for small ones), a starter is recommended even if not strictly necessary.

Check out some of the "related threads" below for some information on yeast and the correct yeast pitching amount. There is a nice yeast pitching calculator on mrmalty.com that helps you determine the correct amount of yeast to pitch.

We're talking about liquid yeast here, not dry yeast! Dry yeast tends to have more cells in a package, so no starter is made with dry yeast.

In this case, with no starter, liquid yeast can easily take up to 72 hours to start. The dry yeast will probably get fermentation going much sooner, so the fermentation will be done with the dry yeast package you added.

dont concider - just make a starter I made three batches of beer that were high in fermentables (stouts, porters) and all three are far too sweet. I was stupid and did not use my hydrometer for the first two, but they tasted a little like the third which i could not save.

Make a starter if Mr Malty Pitching Rate Calculator says so. and use your hydrometer.

dont concider - just make a starter I made three batches of beer that were high in fermentables (stouts, porters) and all three are far too sweet. I was stupid and did not use my hydrometer for the first two, but they tasted a little like the third which i could not save.

Make a starter if Mr Malty Pitching Rate Calculator says so. and use your hydrometer.

Hi, that's a great calculator. Thank you!

Ps. I used spray malt. 1250grams. I hope it will make me drunk without making me feel sick :)

Latest posts

Back