Conditioning....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOP-HEAD

Reaction score
Easy question... The book I just read recommends conditioning IPA's for 3-5 weeks (dependent on OG). If I ferment in the primary for the first week, then rack to a secondary for the conditioning, does the 3-5 weeks include the time in the bottle? i.e., is 2 weeks in secondary and 2 weeks in the bottle 4 weeks or still just 2 weeks of conditioning?

But if you're making an IPA, 3-5 weeks is probably not going to result in a very good beer. I find IPAs and the like don't hit their stride until about 4-6 months. I usually leave in primary or secondary around 4 weeks, then find after it's been in the bottle about 4 months is starts really tasting good. Unfortunately, that's usually the last 6 pack or so.

That's a good point, BruDaddy. Many IPAs, English and American, do well with longer conditioning. However, I've brewed many that were quite nice to drink after only five weeks conditioning. Sure, they continued to improve for months, but they were still yummy after a short time.

TL

Back