Mead ounces to pounds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockfordWhite

Reaction score
So i found this little dairy around my new home today when i was driving around, and not only did I find an excellent little Ice Cream stand but i found that they sell locally harvested honey. And i thought what best to do with locally made honey than to make a beer and/or mead out of it... Since i have never really made a mead i figured i'd give it a go, but most recipes call for pounds of honey, but on the jars of honey they only have hte ounce size (the largest being 80 oz), is there a good rule of thumb way to convert this?

Same here. I was looking at honey at CostCo the other day and they had the price and the total fluid ounces. Then they gave the price per pound. I think I gave myself a minor aneurysm trying to do the math in my head to figure out how many pounds of honey it was.

I'm gonna have to try making mead one of these times - my dad is a beekeeper so I got quite a bit of honey laying around....I have thrown some in a few beer recipes so far.

Lots of local honey sellers will sell it by the quart, 1/2 gallon or gallon and it costs less that way. I don't remember how many lbs are in a gallon, but dad sells quantities to restaurants and at least one brewer that I know of.

Back