Baltimore City Water Report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have a water report but Baltimore, Columbia and Ellicott City's water comes from the same source as Heavy Seas. I contacted the brew master and he responded with this.

"We use a blend of salts, but to answer your question...yes we use Baltimore City municipal water. The salts we use are Calcium Sulfate and/or Calcium Chloride."

I take it a step further by filtering the water first with this.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Water-Filter-with-Hose/14504321

Then I add back Calcium Sulfate and/or Calcium Chloride based on style.

I don't even bother to use faucet water spend the little extra for purified distilled water.

I've attached the water profile in this PDF. I live in Fed Hill, I think same water supply as HoCo and Heavy Seas. Also, I too only adjust water with Calcium Chloride and Calcium Sulfate (Gypsum). Occasionally, I will add in some backing soda when using roasted grains to keep my mash pH from going too low.

View attachment Baltimore Water Profile.pdf

Awesome! Thanks Rmike. I have been planning to send my water to WARD. You saved me a step and some time.

The filter my water through a carbon block filter. The test results were straight from the tap, though. Although, a filter shouldn't have any impact on minerals, etc.

Thanks buddy!! I was looking for this exact info.

Looks like Baltimore's water is pretty low alkalinity, which is good for lighter or light amber beers.

I did some calculations using John Palmer's Excel Spreadsheet found at the bottom of this page

To make a very pale ale, SRM 1-6, add about 2-4 grams (1/2-1 teaspoon) gypsum per gallon of mash water, which will raise the calcium content of the water by 60-120 ppm; or you can add 4-6 grams (1-1.5 teaspoons) of Calcium Chloride for the same effect (raises calcium by 80-120 ppm).

To make a darker beer, you'll need to raise the alkalinity. Add either Chalk (1.5-3 grams, or 3/4-1.5 teaspoons) or Baking Soda (8-12 grams or 1-1.5 teaspoons) to raise the residual alkalinity by about 180-200 ppm of bicarbonate.

brewESQ - I am brewing a black ipa so your saying I should add just chalk or baking soda and no gypsum or calcium chloride?

I was curious about this as well, but I'm down in Elkridge. I checked with the county, and I'm on Baltimore water. Here's my Ward Labs report:

Water1.png

And here's what the county sent me after they searched around (thanks Howard County!):

View attachment MIN ANAL 2013 ASHBURTON LAB.pdf

I hope that helps someone in the area.

I live in AA Co but since I drink spring water all the time, I've always used a 5 gal jug of deer park.

Back