8' X 10' Brewhouse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finchlake

Reaction score
I there, I just got an 8' x 10' metal building to move all my brewing stuff into. I looking for threads or suggestions on how to finish it out on the inside for home brewing. I've already moved my kegerator into it. I think I want to keep all my brew stuff together in there( maybe in a metal cabinet, and do the boil just outside the door. I want to set up my fermenters inside on something like a heavyduty shelf. I do not plan on doing my drinking in the building, I already built a beer garden to sit around and drink with friends. I want the building to be the brewhouse where all the work takes place.

Any suggestions?

Hey thanks Otis, I already have electricty and the wall are 4" insulated with paneling on the inside walls. It has an exhust fan with temperture control. I've instaled air conditioning and electric heating.

Now I'm thinking about how to set up cabinets or shelfs to set carboys on. You know for efficent racking. I move from the carboy to corney kegs and carb. with CO2. I also bottle from the corney kegs with a beer gun. I need storage facilities for all of this stuff.

From the begining this stuff has been all over the place. The wife loves the idea of taking me and all my beer stuff outside to the shed. I want to set it up in a cool, neat, efficent manner this time. Just thought maybe someone on this forum may have already done this, or maybe as beer drinking, hopheads we are doomed to living in the chaos, disorder and confusion of all of our beer making toys.

finchlake said:
Hey thanks Otis, I already have electricty and the wall are 4" insulated with paneling on the inside walls. It has an exhust fan with temperture control. I've instaled air conditioning and electric heating.

Now I'm thinking about how to set up cabinets or shelfs to set carboys on. You know for efficent racking. I move from the carboy to corney kegs and carb. with CO2. I also bottle from the corney kegs with a beer gun. I need storage facilities for all of this stuff.

From the begining this stuff has been all over the place. The wife loves the idea of taking me and all my beer stuff outside to the shed. I want to set it up in a cool, neat, efficent manner this time. Just thought maybe someone on this forum may have already done this, or maybe as beer drinking, hopheads we are doomed to living in the chaos, disorder and confusion of all of our beer making toys.
must be nice

If i were you the first thing i would put in there would be a 10' stainless steel coutnertop with a big sink. I would also think about storing the fermenters on three tiers- top primary, second secondary, and bottom kegs. That way there would be no need to move them around just rack right down to the next level.

I do not have water out there yet. I'm thinking you'r right on that. If I don't set up with water I'm going to be carrying jugs back and forth to the house to wash. Also I will not be able to run the wort cooler. I have a friend who has a trencher, I could probably get him to run me a line out there for a couple of beers.

I hadn't thought about setting up the fermenters on three tiers. Now I have to move them around, then have to wait for everything to settle back down before I can transfer. Setting up a three-tier system would be easy enought to do, and would also save some floor space.

Thanks

finchlake said:
I do not have water out there yet. I'm thinking you'r right on that. If I don't set up with water I'm going to be carrying jugs back and forth to the house to wash.

For no more often than I typically use a brew shed, don't be afraid to plumb the whole thing and terminate outside with a female garden hose thread. When you get ready to brew, pull out the hose and hook her up. Just don't forget to use an RV water hose type garden hose to avoid off tastes in the water.

I went and relooked at my setup last night after "tbulger" and "pldoolittle" posts. I think the way to go on this is to install cabinets on one of the 8' walls with a double stainless sink in the middle of the cabinet. I will stub up outside the building with a faucet that I can atttached a hose to. This will be for the wort cooler and wash things outside.

I tore out some of the paneling last night on one wall. It was uneven, I going to Lowe's today to pick up some more.

I already have the kegerator in the building, so with the help of my Fuller's ESB clone and a crowbar taking down the old panels was not a problem.

I'm planning on building a 15' x 9' (inside dimensions) brew shed.
Let me know how you progress, because I have a lot of the same questions.

Bobby_M said:
I don't understand putting the kegerator in the brewshed though. I think it ought to be in the house unless you do all your drinking in the yard.

Methinks somebody needs TWO kegerators (which, of course, will require the making of 10-gallon batches, at least).

Hey everyone, just got back from town. Been at Lowe's, got my new panels, and looked at cabinets and such.

Yea, we drink in the yard. I run a 40 acre RV park, way out in the middle of nowhere, on a lake. People that stop by here are outdoor people anyway. I've set up a setting/drinking/talking/visting area with a swing and chairs. I'm a Master Gardener so I have a water feature with plenty of plants all around. I tell my wife it's my Beer Garden.:mug:

My wife and I moved a double-wide out here on the property, It's not big enought for the kegerator or the brew stuff, anyway most folks don't seem to mind the walk back to the shed for another brew. I guess if you cann't make it to the shed, it's time to quit.:drunk:

I'll start taking some pictures, not much to look at yet. It might be cool to look back on when it's finished.

Sounds like a great life! :mug:

In many ways it made me think of the story below.

finchlake said:
Yea, we drink in the yard. I run a 40 acre RV park, way out in the middle of nowhere, on a lake. People that stop by here are outdoor people anyway. I've set up a setting/drinking/talking/visting area with a swing and chairs. I'm a Master Gardener so I have a water feature with plenty of plants all around. I tell my wife it's my Beer Garden.:mug:

My wife and I moved a double-wide out here on the property, It's not big enought for the kegerator or the brew stuff, anyway most folks don't seem to mind the walk back to the shed for another brew. I guess if you cann't make it to the shed, it's time to quit.:drunk:

A boat docked in a tiny Mexican village. An American tourist complimented the Mexican fisherman on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took him to catch them.

"Not very long," answered the Mexican.

"But then, why didn't you stay out longer and catch more?" asked the American.

The Mexican explained that his small catch was sufficient to meet his needs and those of his family.

The American asked, "But what do you do with the rest of your time?"

"I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, and take a siesta with my wife. In the evenings, I go into the village to see my friends, have a few drinks, play the guitar, and sing a few songs. I have a full life."

The American interrupted, "I have an MBA from Harvard and I can help you! You should start by fishing longer every day. You can then sell the extra fish you catch. With the extra revenue, you can buy a bigger boat."

"And after that?" asked the Mexican.

"With the extra money the larger boat will bring, you can buy a second one and a third one and so on until you have an entire fleet of trawlers. Instead of selling your fish to a middle man, you can then negotiate directly with the processing plants and maybe even open your own plant. You can then leave this little village and move to Mexico City, Los Angeles, or even New York City! From there you can direct your huge new enterprise."

"How long would that take?" asked the Mexican.

"Twenty, perhaps twenty-five years," replied the American.

"And after that?"

"Afterwards? Well my friend, that's when it gets really interesting," answered the American, laughing. "When your business gets really big, you can start buying and selling stocks and make millions!"

"Millions? Really? And after that?" asked the Mexican.

"After that you'll be able to retire, live in a tiny village near the coast, sleep late, play with your children, catch a few fish, take a siesta with your wife and spend your evenings drinking and enjoying your friends."

SuperiorBrew said:
Work hard, work lots and buy cool toys :mug:

Yep. Work 2 jobs and buying like crazy. One job is going away soon, so I'll have a life soon.

As long as I have all the siht I need, I'm good.

Getting into coffee roasting, so I should save millions roasting my own (unless I go nuts and get a commercial roaster..............it never ends)

:)

Brewer3401 said:
Yep. Work 2 jobs and buying like crazy. One job is going away soon, so I'll have a life soon.

As long as I have all the siht I need, I'm good.

Getting into coffee roasting, so I should save millions roasting my own (unless I go nuts and get a commercial roaster..............it never ends)

:)

Me too, I plan on getting one of these when they are available later this month.

;) You will never get rich running an RV Park, I know. However, you do meet some of the most interesting people. My customers come out for the weekend to relax and have fun. It's good to have happy customers (campers). I made a lot more money in the corporate world, but hated EVERY DAY of it.

I may have the mexican beat. My campers stop by on thier way out and leave me a mess of fish or deer meat. On Friday or Saturday nights my wife and I walk around and visit the campsites, they always offer us a beer or invite us to stay and eat with them.

Oh, I think "SuperiorBrew" you should relax and have a decaffe.;)

finchlake said:
;) You will never get rich running an RV Park, I know. However, you do meet some of the most interesting people. My customers come out for the weekend to relax and have fun. It's good to have happy customers (campers). I made a lot more money in the corporate world, but hated EVERY DAY of it.

I may have the mexican beat. My campers stop by on thier way out and leave me a mess of fish or deer meat. On Friday or Saturday nights my wife and I walk around and visit the campsites, they always offer us a beer or invite us to stay and eat with them.

Oh, I think "SuperiorBrew" you should relax and have a decaffe.;)

Actually I worked 2-3 jobs during my youth so I could relax have fun now :)

finchlake said:
;) You will never get rich running an RV Park, I know.

Don't bet against it. I have a friend that owned an RV park for 15 years before he got an offer to buy it. He now lives very nicely just off the interest on the money he made.

finchlake said:
So your saying the only way to make money on an RV Park is to sell it?

Nope. Just saying that you shouldn't be so confident that you will never get rich running an RV Park.

Time for a new host:

Sorry, this GeoCities site is currently unavailable.

The GeoCities web site you were trying to view has temporarily exceeded its data transfer limit. Please try again later.

Yea they shut me down after so many hits on the site. I've been thinking about going to one of those sites where you buy the domain name. Just not to sure how to go about it.

You may be right about the value of the campground, I'm constantly being hit up about selling it, or a piece of it. I put an extremly high price on it so they would go away. So far it's worked. I don't know waht I would do if someone meet my price. At this point in my life I'm enjoying running it more than I would enjoy the money.

My friend stuck to his "go away" price until one day he got an offer that he would be crazy not to refuse.

SuperiorBrew said:
Me too, I plan on getting one of these when they are available later this month.

!!!!!!!!! Yep, that's what I'm waiting on too. The reviews have been stellar. Problem is, Behm is hooked up with Popeil, and I think they're in bankruptsy or something.

I'd love to get a 2.2kg commercial roaster, but I think SWMBO would kill me. No amount of oral favors is going to get her to flip to my side (well, maybe so - just have to try).

I'm not buying anything until that hits the market, then I'm going to wait 6 months to get feedback. If it's mostly good, I'll pull the trigger.

If it's only $ 300.00 +, Hottop is definetely going to crash. The Iroast2 is going to suffer too.

Put up the panels on the wall this weekend. My son came up this weekend, he's good at helping me. The walls are all level now. The paneling is 1/4" chipboard. I think I will buy some thin paneling to cover the chipboard with. I should be able to use liquid nail to hold the paneling to the chipboard.

The paneling at Lowe's was about $14.00 a sheet, I need 10 sheets to cover the walls. That would cost around $150 to put paneling up and sure would improve the looks of the building.

Brewer3401 said:
!!!!!!!!! Yep, that's what I'm waiting on too. The reviews have been stellar. Problem is, Behm is hooked up with Popeil, and I think they're in bankruptsy or something.

I'd love to get a 2.2kg commercial roaster, but I think SWMBO would kill me. No amount of oral favors is going to get her to flip to my side (well, maybe so - just have to try).

I'm not buying anything until that hits the market, then I'm going to wait 6 months to get feedback. If it's mostly good, I'll pull the trigger.

If it's only $ 300.00 +, Hottop is definetely going to crash. The Iroast2 is going to suffer too.

HiJack....sorry

It sounds like they will hit the US in the next couple weeks, I will have to try one as soon as they are available, have never roasted coffee, but we grind fresh beans every day.

Here is his last email.

To All,

Firstly my apologies for not sending you data sooner but for a while there was nothing concrete to offer.

Since I last emailed we came upon new components, which would improve the roaster but delay shipping by a few weeks. Given the factory had overbooked assembly capabilities, I made the decision to utilize the extra time, accept the few weeks of delay, and proceed with the improvements.

Over the past two weeks I received word the changes have been completed, fully tested and the roaster’s assembly dates, re-confirmed. Currently freight forwarders are in the process of arranging space on containers ships for the transpacific journey.

If there are no typhoons, port strikes or things outside my control the first containers should be in the USA before children put on their Halloween masks.

Regarding the list of approved distributors.

While the list has not been finalized it will be disclosed once I’ve revisited each company to insure they will provide you, the customer, with the best of service. Tentatively speaking all the top tier green bean suppliers and some smaller ones as well, will be offering the roaster for sale.

Pricing will be MSRP of $399 but each dealer will be given the option to lower that price significantly. It is their decision on what and how they bundle the roaster with green beans and at what price.

My next update will be the week of Oct. 8th at that time I'll provide you with more information on when you can start to place orders.. Those on this list will be given a one week head start on ordering.

If you have any questions or comments please feel free in contacting me.

Having spent eight years of my life focused on bringing you the best product possible at a fair price, I want to thank you for your for your patience and assure you the wait will be rewarded.

Best regards
Joe Behm

Joe Behm
Behmor Inc.
120 Country Club Dr. 22-L
Incline Village, NV. 89451
775-833-3363
www.behmor.com

Back