Rasberry additions to a WIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eryk4381

Reaction score
I have been reading and searching through all these fruit addition posts and am getting mixed advice. Currently it seems people add 1/2 lb per gallon but I also read the just using 2lb total would do it which is way off. Im making a wheat IPA with raspberries, trying a 5 gallon batch first. I was thinking close to 2 lbs for a light raspberry flavor but not to kill the rest of the hop and wheat flavors. What do you guys think. Should I put more in that that? Also, I read that its good to wait 10-12 days. Whats the difference if you just wait to most of the ferm is done, say after 7 days?

A fruited IPA sounds kinda gross to me, but experimenting is all part of the fun. I used 1lb per gallon when I made a raspberry wheat (base beer around 24 IBU) and it came out with tons of raspberry nose & flavor.

I would probably start with .5lb per gallon and adjust from there as necessary. When I made the wheat I did 14 days in primary to make sure fermentation & cleanup was fully complete and then racked onto whole fruit (previously frozen) in a secondary where I left it for ten days. If you started with .5lb and tasted it you could make the decision to bottle or keg as is or add more fruit.

The one other time I did a fruit beer where I only waited till most of the fermentation was done (5-7 days) was a strawberry blonde that turned out horrible. There was so much yeast still in suspension that when I racked onto the fruit it kicked up a very vigorous secondary ferment and the beer ended up with a rancid strawberry taste. After 2 months in the keg didn't fix it I dumped it.

A fruited IPA sounds kinda gross to me, but experimenting is all part of the fun. I used 1lb per gallon when I made a raspberry wheat (base beer around 24 IBU) and it came out with tons of raspberry nose & flavor.

I would probably start with .5lb per gallon and adjust from there as necessary. When I made the wheat I did 14 days in primary to make sure fermentation & cleanup was fully complete and then racked onto whole fruit (previously frozen) in a secondary where I left it for two days. If you started with .5lb and tasted it you could make the decision to bottle or keg as is or add more fruit.

The one time I did a fruit beer where I only waited till most of the fermentation was done (5-7 days) was a strawberry blonde that turned out horrible. There was so much yeast still in suspension that when I racked onto the fruit it kicked up a very vigorous secondary ferment and the beer ended up with a rancid strawberry taste. After 2 months in the keg didn't fix it I dumped it.

Well im looking for subtle flavor. Does anyone else who likes fruit beers have any thoughts?

I corrected two inaccuracies in my original post, I had done 10 days in the secondary not two with my raspberry wheat. Raspberries really aren't a subtle fruit, 1lb per gal lets the fruit shine in a lightly hopped beer. I have no idea how well it would work in a IPA. FYI Jamil tried a Pineapple IPA and said it was terrible, and recommended fruiting low to moderately hopped beers (Jamil Show, Fruit Beers 4-26-06).

I'd still recommend .5lbs per gal as a starting point, anything less I think will end up being completely lost.

Just an update to this post:
The beer didn't come out all that great.
The days of fermentation got very hot (in the 100'2) as I had no fridge to keep it cool and the swamp cooler couldn't get it down below 74- 76 degrees ( i think at points it may have been hotter).

Slight raspberry flavor. Light. But very sweet ( I think i mean Eastery).
Just a strangish sweet flavor. I'm going to let it sit as testing showed it got a bit better as time went on.

Back