Wyeast 3068 hefewisen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesseroberge

Reaction score
Is it as agressive as they say it it ?? Inhabe a blowoff tube but not very much headspace in my carboy :)

Man this is agressive, I went to my fermenter not even 2 hours after pitching and a few bubbles popped, I told myself it must be air in the head space... I come back this morning 14 hours after pitching, the room temp is 68 degrees and the BEAST was roaring my blowout jar was overflowing on the floor :( I took my carboy to the bathroom where I can get the temp down to 68 and put the carboy on the counter top and the blowout jug in the sink... Blow away now black beast moujajahahajajajajajaja !!!!

Yeah, that yeast is crazy. My LHBS basically won't sell it to you without a liquid foam control. I mean, they will, but they strongly recommend it.

I've used it with foam control and it's very manageable. Still pretty aggressive, but I avoided any excessive blowouts.

The blowout's are so agressive that it splashes out of my blowout jug hahahahahahahaha love it :)

A lot of people recommend running the 300/3068 yeast in the low 60s for the best balance of esters/phenols. I've done this and it creates an awesome hefe, and it also seems like it keeps the krausen from going crazy. Though I had 5 gallons in a 6.5 gallon carboy. Still had plenty of yeast in the blowoff, but it wasn't overflowing everywhere!

Yah its all apparently in the fermentation temps. The first time I brewed with it, I didn't have temp control and started it at 60F...within 36 hours in a cool closet of my basment the wort was up to almost 70F (ambient was maybe 65F and the krausen was explosive.

I have my first batch since getting fermentation temp control fermenting right now, and the difference is 2-3 inches of krausen vs 1.5 Gallons of headspace being blown out and over the first time.

Back