Bacterial Infection or Chemical Reaction?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CXII

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been home (or rather, Dorm at first) brewing wine for the last two years, and one of my latest batches has something I've never seen before floating in it and I could use some help identifying it.

Frozen concentrate based, Lalvin 1118 yeast, S.G. of 1.152 temp. corrected (I made a mistake in calculating my correcting sugar). This was boiled, then cooled in a sink with ice water until it was 80' F, then siphoned into a sanitized carboy (siphon was boiled pre-use).

Started 10 days ago, it first started showing small clumps near the top a week ago. I gyrated the bottle to see if it would dissipate, and it did for the most part, but recently I gyrated the bottle again to keep the yeast suspended and the clumps seem to have joined, and two remain at the surface (and the rest sunk). I'd describe it's appearance as "spongy".

XjpeP.jpg

Does anyone have an idea what this may be? Googling and forum hunting haven't brought me any leads.

Thank you for your time,
cXII

Back