A Cold Mashing...Is this true?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Uh, moonshiners have been converting starches to sugar without mash temps for a long time.

Basic recipe: take a bunch of corn, and bury it in manure. Leave for 10 days, then come back and wash the manure from the corn (its now malted). Dump that with some horse feed (which contains barley) and put it in a big container. Top the container off with water, and dump some bakers yeast in it or a partially baked loaf of bread. return in 1-3 weeks and distill. The yeast will eat up any sugars immediately after they're converted from the starch, and preserve the mash from most infections. ... Supposedly its really inefficient, and to get the full conversion, you have to take the back-set (the stillage after the whiskey is distilled) and dump it back on the mash. Corn and barley, 80%/20%, takes about 3 times before it's fully converted, or so the old lore goes.

I'm actually going to try a sour mash using this method once it warms up here (Pac NW). EDIT: for a beer, minus the manure...

Decomposing manure gets really warm, that's where the mash temps are coming from. Here's another historical possibility! Good post.

I just did an experiment..

Cold mashed 1# of 2 row in .5 gallon for 24 hrs OG=1.019
Mashed 1# of 2 row in .5 gallon @152 OG=1.052

We have a winner...

I just did an experiment..

Cold mashed 1# of 2 row in .5 gallon for 24 hrs OG=1.019
Mashed 1# of 2 row in .5 gallon @152 OG=1.052

We have a winner...

Meh you can only really call it conclusive if you run a significant number of more tests (in this case probably 10 or so) and have some of us do the same thing.

Also, how long did you mash at 152? 60 min?

But I'm going to go ahead and venture a guess that all tests will result in roughly the same.

Yes an hour....

I'm good, no more tests for me. If they we're close in numbers I'd consider it but that's quite a difference. Also with the cold mash my house didn't have that awesome smell you get with hot mashing.

So this is a real thing. Dan Beis did a talk at NHC this year on "cold mashing" or "non enzymatic mashing". By mashing cold you extract all the modified sugars small proteins and enzymes. Basically anything water soluble gets extracted. This doesn't extract the starches so you get only a quarter of you base malt, about half of your crystal. You get all of the color and flavor of the malts. I just made a smash red ale with Maris otter and cascade.

Holy Hell!!!!

7e577822_necropost-jpg.jpeg

I know right! :mug: I was a little worried. I guess I could start a new thread.
I am always looking for another tool to adjust my beers and this has potential. I am aware of how wasteful it is but if I brew two beers I could use the spent cold mash malt as a adjunct in the second beer. A colorless, flavorless, adjunct.

So this is a real thing. Dan Beis did a talk at NHC this year on "cold mashing" or "non enzymatic mashing". By mashing cold you extract all the modified sugars small proteins and enzymes. Basically anything water soluble gets extracted. This doesn't extract the starches so you get only a quarter of you base malt, about half of your crystal. You get all of the color and flavor of the malts. I just made a smash red ale with Maris otter and cascade.

Suddenly I'm curious about this topic... how much malt did you use and what was the OG? Did you actually use x4 the amount of malt you would use in a standard mash?

It was a 10 is pound recipe originally. What I did was 9 pounds Maris otter for the NEM mash and 7 pounds for the hot mash. I heated the NEM liquid to temp and added it to the hot mash like normal. Mashed for 30 minutes. I my SG was 1.046 and it settled out at 1.006. It has a full mouth feel but is very dry, I only FWH with 1 oz of cascade, but can still taste the bitterness.
I didn't use 4x the malt for several reasons. If I used 4x the malt it would have been would have been black, or very dark red, and all I wanted was a test it in a smash. Plus 40 pounds of malt is a lot for a five gallon batch.:D

Decomposing manure gets really warm, that's where the mash temps are coming from. Here's another historical possibility! Good post.

for what it's worth (and it's a simple experiment any one can do) - during Ferulic acid rest at 110F, I got conversion to about 1.040 SG (after proper mashing it went up to 1.090 on first runnings).

So while mashing at lower temperatures is rather inefficient, it does happen. Probably even at 80-90F. I will do an experiment later today

I did the first mash at a 40F...

What I am doing is a little different than the OP guy. I am taking only the water soluble parts of the grain. Then adding it to a second mash. Ideally I would have added the spent grain from the first mash into a third mash to convert the starch that is not water soluable and make a second beer. Something that needs gravity but not the flavor contribution of the Maris (it is near flavorless now).

This is a picture of the beer today a couple of minutes after pour. This is a smash of Maris Otter and cascade and it is very bready, crisp and clear. With a couple of ounces of midnight wheat it will be very red.

image.jpg

Back