To cold crash or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Towndrunk

Reaction score
I am planning on bottling my first home brew on Monday and I am wondering if I should cold crash it or not. It is an IPA and in my hurry to brew my first batch I made a couple mistakes. I added the hop pellets without putting them in a steeping bag. I am wondering if I should cold crash it or just strain it when I syphon to my bottling bucket? I am leaning more toward filtering it because I don't want any carbonation problems after I bottle it. Enlighten me with your brewing knowledge and help me not ruin my first brew.

Cold crashing always helps in my experience. The more particles that settle out the better. Generally, a little hop residue won't hurt the carbonation process, though.

I cold crash all of my brews, It definately has helped me with clarity. Everything should/will drop to the bottom. I never bag my hops when I dry hop. I just throw them right in, never had any problems.

I am planning on bottling my first home brew on Monday and I am wondering if I should cold crash it or not. It is an IPA and in my hurry to brew my first batch I made a couple mistakes. I added the hop pellets without putting them in a steeping bag. I am wondering if I should cold crash it or just strain it when I syphon to my bottling bucket? I am leaning more toward filtering it because I don't want any carbonation problems after I bottle it. Enlighten me with your brewing knowledge and help me not ruin my first brew.

A cold crash works well to have the floating crud fall to the bottom and to clear the beer. It does not prevent bottle carbonation. However, for me it is easy since I keg my brews and do a cold crash "in the keg".

I cold crash for a day or two or even longer if I dont have time to bottle or keg.

deepcdan99 said:
I cold crash all of my brews, It definately has helped me with clarity. Everything should/will drop to the bottom. I never bag my hops when I dry hop. I just throw them right in, never had any problems.

I'm curious about what would happen if I have some mold growing on top and then I cold crash. Would the mold spores drop to the bottom too?

I am dry hopping, 2 oz of Cascade in an APA, since Monday 4/16. When I dropped the hop bag into the brew I noticed some small white spots that looked like they cold be the start of some spores growing. I haven't lifted the lid to look, but i noticed increased bubbling activity, possibly related. (this is why i think moving to a clear glass carboy is a wise move)

Anyway, my concern is that cold crashing would drop the molds down. A valid concern or should I just RDWHAHB?

Thanks!

I always see a bit of increase in airlock activity when I throw my dry hops in, I wouldnt worry about it. A glass carboy would only let you see that it is contaminated, wouldnt prevent it, but I guess it would take the guess work out of it.

Back