Pressing apples

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SjbSam

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I heard from alot of sites that to make cider you have to puree then press the apples but could i just use my fruit juicer?
I also wanted to know if it would be a good idea to buy apples for cider making from a supermarket as it is winter where i live and that is the only way i could get apples.
Thank you,
Sam

Yes i did 2 months ago but i bought my apple from an orchard.. I used a Jack lalane juice extractor went well but made a big sticky mess in my living room. The apple cider turned out well. it took me two big boxes of apple to fill a carboy. I brought back the jack lalane to Wall mart the day after.... :D

The cider turned out well. Taste kind of like a white wine with a touch of apple. Not sweet at all. Really good with fish and sushi :D

That said i would not buy the apple at the supermarket i would not go trought all that mess again because i found that it was pretty much the same cost to buy the Juice at an orchard... Even maybe at the supermarket because im pretty sure that during winter apple are expensive at the market too.

Make sure to take the natural juice without preservative

I use a juice extractor to process small amounts of fruit for a secondary flavor but I wouldn't want to try to fill the whole fermenter with it so I just buy the juice in a bottle for a base flavor.

yes definitely go for it with the juicer. i often use mine for cider with excellent results. some apples juice way better than others in a juicer of course so try a few out before you commit to juicing a large batch. soft varieties just turn to mush and you have to clean the juicer basket all the time, and you get hardly any juice. my last batch was 50% cox orange 40% elstar 10% granny smith, which all juice well, and i think i needed about 30kg for a 12L carboy. not super efficient but easy enough, juiced it all in under an hour. so why not make a trial batch in the winter and next october you will know the drill when your local pippins are ripe

I also have a jack lalanne juicer :D I will use that then.
So to make cider I will have to:
1. Get some apples
2. Quarter them and put them in my jack lalanne juicer
3. Put the juice in a sterilised bucket
4. Add the yeast
5. Pour into a demijohn
6. Let it ferment for a month
7. Bottle it
8. Drink it
Is this wright? And my air lock looks like the one on this link: http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.ebrew.com/Products_A/s-type_airlock.jpg&imgrefurl=http://123nonstop.com/biography/Airlock&usg=__mqr1WPBWpldcmZ-5IiDn_4kNrgY=&h=528&w=396&sz=34&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=lzVlTjeKCvnOCM:&tbnh=134&tbnw=109&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dairlock%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:eek:fficial%26biw%3D1366%26bih%3D575%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=255&vpy=86&dur=31&hovh=259&hovw=194&tx=138&ty=143&ei=QXsgTcmWIs26hAe6qt23Dg&oei=QXsgTcmWIs26hAe6qt23Dg&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=23&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0
do i have to leave the cap on during fermentation?

It's not far off. You may want to add extra sugar depending on how strong you want the cider because as it is, this'll just ferment out at around 5% completely dry. Make sure you steralise ALL of your equipment to prevent infections, especially anything that touches your apples and the demi-john and airlock. You might wanna look into how to sanitize the apples a little too, people know of ways to, but I don't. :)

Back