WTF? - My Guinness Pour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhermetz

Reaction score
I've been trying to get this to pour correctly for about 3 weeks now. I always end up with half a glass of beer/head.

Any guesses at to why?

PSI is 23.... I've tried 30PSI but it gets worse

It seemed to work best at 18PSI but the head retention was something aweful.
I'm disappointed....not because of the taste of the beer but because all my friends are Irish and I can't friggin pour this right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like I said in the "Post your pint" thread, it's 100% the fact that you're serving at 23PSI. Waaaaaay too high unless you've got a ridiculously long beer line. Crank it down to 8 or so.

As for your head retention, it's not the gas. It's most likely the recipe... IIRC, roasted malts kill head.

Depending on your temperature and the volumes of CO2 you want dissolved in the beer, you pressure regulator should be set to between 8 and 14 psi, and your beer line length should be sized appropriately. There are a number of good online resources describing how to balance your keg - check out this or this.

Maybe I should have mentioned this is a 100% Nitrogen pour. I had c02 on the beer for a week only to carb it to 1.7vol.

Regardless I tried cutting the pressure back from 30psi down to 15Psi. It's a little better with the foam control but I'm getting little to no Cascading effect now.

Anyone else have ideas?

I'll try posting a video of the entire setup tonight. Hopefully that will help a little.

Looks like perhaps the beer was overcarbed to begin with. What was the pressure and temp it was carbing at?

And to the first two replies. You're suppose to have a high pressure like that when serving with beergas or plain nitro.

Try venting the beer fora few days until flat and readjust your co2 reg and carb again.

Well I set it at 5psi @ 37. According to that carbonation table you may be right. That table would have me sitting at 2.0 vol.

I'm disappointed....not because of the taste of the beer but because all my friends are Irish

I'd be disappointed too if all my friends were Irish! :fro::off:

Hope you get your problem solved.

Schlante,
Phillip

Ok , I'm confused with correct psi for 75nitrogen 25Co2, I'm using Corny keg, psi is 30,it's been settling in the fridge for one week. There are small bubbles around the rim,no creamy head and seems to be flat
Any thoughts ?

your video doesnt show the tap. I am assuming that you are pouring through a stout faucet. I have been around here enough though to realize i should never assume anything. Stout faucets need the extra pressure to push through the restrictor plate, but you cant use those kind of pressure through a regular faucet.

It doesn't loom that off to me in the video. It should cascade like it was, you have to pour half the beer let it sit then finish the pour. Go to the Guinness website I think they have pouring suggestions.

As for your head retention, it's not the gas. It's most likely the recipe... IIRC, roasted malts kill head.

That's what I was thinking too - doesn't Guinness normally have pretty low head retention?

I normally drink it in carbombs these days so I don't pay as much attention. :D

Yeah, because Fishnken had a question and respected the forum's advice to search for something before starting a new thread.

...that nobody is taking the time to respond to. Unfortunately, I don't have an answer to either the OP's question or to Fishnken's, but everyone is focusing on the OP instead of the new question.

Fishnken said:
Ok , I'm confused with correct psi for 75nitrogen 25Co2, I'm using Corny keg, psi is 30,it's been settling in the fridge for one week. There are small bubbles around the rim,no creamy head and seems to be flat
Any thoughts ?

First, are you using a stout faucet? I have this set up so I may be able to help.

Back