Bells Two Hearted Clone - Hop Additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graeme

Reaction score
I'm planning on doing a Bell's Two Hearted IPA clone for my next brew. I have the recipe from BYO's 150 classic clones. I'm just a bit sceptical about the hop additions here, the IBU's worked out just fine when I put them through some software, but I'm just concerned with so little late additions will I get the big hop flavour I'm looking for. It's a litltle weird questioning a reputable source like this, just wondering if anyone has done this clone before, or alternatively, you're two cents on the additions would be very helpful!

Cheers!

Additions are:
1oz Centennial 60min
0.7oz Centennial 45min
0.7oz Centennial 30min
0.7oz Centennial 15min
0.7oz Centennial flameout

There is a clone on this site by Eschatz....

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/bells-two-hearted-ale-clone-close-they-come-91488/

It kicks arse....

I brewed this a little over a month ago and used this schedule, all with 8% Centennial:
.86 oz 60min
.30 oz 45 min
1.11 oz 15 min
1.16 oz 5 min
1 oz 1 min
2 oz Dryhop for 5 days.

Sorry about the weird weight amounts. I actually made a 6 gallon batch and had Beersmith convert to 5 gallons, thus the funny numbers.

I aimed for an IBU of 55 ish. I'd read up on the post above because I believe the consensus is this clone is alot closer to original.

Cheers!!!

I'm planning on doing a Bell's Two Hearted IPA clone for my next brew. I have the recipe from BYO's 150 classic clones. I'm just a bit sceptical about the hop additions here, the IBU's worked out just fine when I put them through some software, but I'm just concerned with so little late additions will I get the big hop flavour I'm looking for. It's a litltle weird questioning a reputable source like this, just wondering if anyone has done this clone before, or alternatively, you're two cents on the additions would be very helpful!

Cheers!

Additions are:
1oz Centennial 60min
0.7oz Centennial 45min
0.7oz Centennial 30min
0.7oz Centennial 15min
0.7oz Centennial flameout

I made this back in May. Here were my additions with 9.7% AA Centennials.
These are for an 11 gal batch.

1 oz @ 60
3 oz @ 20
2 oz @ 15
2 oz @ 5
2 oz @ 1
2 oz DH

Gave me the same IBU's as my original plan(Eschatz's recipe),https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/all-grain-bells-two-hearted-ale-clone-close-they-come-91488/ , but with more flavor and aroma.

Thanks for your help guys. I checked out Eschatz recipe out there, looks pretty great, although when I ran the hops additions through 'hopville' with Centennial at 10%AA it gives me just under 45 IBU's, should be around 56 I think. Also, the recipe in BYO says to dryhop with 10g which I thought was a really small amount to be dry hopping with

I brewed this using 2 oz dryhop and WLP 051. A wonderful IPA even though I have never tried the original. This is a nice switch from the West Coast style IPA's. I ended up with 5.9% ABV (poor crush) 1.059 OG @ 50IBU. Would'nt change a thing.

My impression of Two-hearted is that it always tastes of late-hop additions. The OP schedule doesn't add enough hops late IMHO. Other posts on here by Hammy71 and Annasdadhockey seem plausible and a good place to start.

Yeah I'd agree Pangea, I really thought BYO's clone had very little late hop additions thus why I brought it up here. I reckon I'm going to go with an ounce @ 60, 20, 15, 5, and 1. That will give me 50 IBU's. And I'll probably go ahead a dry hop with 2 ounces as suggested. Looking forward to trying this. It will hopefully be my first all grain too!

Latest posts

Back