Serving temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imprez25

Reaction score
So, After a about a week in the bottle, I have broken into my first brew... I wanted to wait 3 weeks, I swear. :drunk: Anyways, I am realizing that the closer to room temp (My basement is about 65 degrees) the better this brew tastes. Anything cooler and I start to loose the hop flavor. Any reasons, suggestions, or just overall comments? My brew is a BB Classic Micro American Pale Ale. OG of 1.050 FG of 1.020, brewed on May 5, 2009. Bottled on May 26, 2009.

It sorta boils down to the same reason you don't eat a frozen danish or other flavorful and aromatic food. I find that a lot of the beers I drink are best served at 55°-58°F... especially the higher gravity beers.

I keep my keezer at 44F. For me its a good balance...far from 'ice cold' like a fridge, and the beer can get into that low 50's range so it 'opens up' its aroma, both hops and malt.

Most things have more pronounced flavor at a room temp vs a cold temp. With beer it is a question of balance, as the more you bring the temp of the beer up, the less it can hold CO2. So with a heavier beer the fuzzy carbonation may not be so important, but for the lighter styles the carbonation is a bigger part of the flavor profile.

Personal preference, and balance is what it boils down to.

Back