Which program is better for GF brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustwing

Reaction score
Hi there!

I've got a wheat/gluten allergy, and so I havent attempted a beer yet...but I'd like to! So far all the commercial brands I've tried I havent liked much, and I have a feeling I'm going to need to try out a fair few grains till I find the combinations I'll like..so that said..

do any programs available now have decent info on buckwheat, sorghum, quinoa, rice, any other grains that arent barley or rye or wheat for malting? Do any have allergen settings where you can tell it to avoid certain ingrediants? Last but not least, I make mainly ciders and mead right now, can these programs handle thhose types of brew as well or are they beer-specialized?

I put my recipe in Beersmith. I had to add Sorghum Extract Syrup and put in the little bit of info that was available for it. I also added Roasted Buckwheat and Amaranth, but I don't know any of the info/numbers for any of the grains. I'd be interested if there is anything better, however your best bet might just be Beersmith and adding the ingredients to the list yourself. I'm brewing my GF beer recipe Thursday. Bluffwallace helped me a lot with getting everything together to make a decent GF beer, and a darker one at that.

As for your last question, I know I've seen a few cider and mead recipes in Beersmith's recipe list. I don't brew mead or cider myself, though.

Back