Interface

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajdelange

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to try fuzzy control on my tuns. Does anyone know of an interface that
1)Plugs into USB and is, preferably powered by it
2)Has a couple of RTD inputs
3)Has a couple of TTL outputs
4)Has a Mac driver

and, preferrably

5)Works with IGOR's VDT

Good heavens no!!

We always used to use National Instruments stuff for this kind of thing at work but all of a sudden they dropped Mac support and then sort of brought it back in with a set of drivers that contains a subset of the capabilities available on the PC. IGOR, which I want to use, has a simple, programmable interface which supports NIDAQ but I don't want to pay NI prices (outrageous) for something that works - sort of.

NI is (and I guess always was) weird. I understand that they are funding research into over unity machines. ???

Good heavens no!!

We always used to use National Instruments stuff for this kind of thing at work but all of a sudden they dropped Mac support and then sort of brought it back in with a set of drivers that contains a subset of the capabilities available on the PC. IGOR, which I want to use, has a simple, programmable interface which supports NIDAQ but I don't want to pay NI prices (outrageous) for something that works - sort of.

NI is (and I guess always was) weird. I understand that they are funding research into over unity machines. ???

Over the years I've tried NI, but my brain is a ladder logic, statement list brain, not that pretty graphical NI stuff.

Over the years I've tried NI, but my brain is a ladder logic, statement list brain, not that pretty graphical NI stuff.

Roger that. We never bought LabView even on the taxpayers' dollar because we didn't want any of that fancy stuff or the limitations that come with it. But that's moot as WaveMetrics no longer supports the kluged NI Mac driver.

True, you can get a 0-5vdc transducer puck(i have a cheap ebay one just for playing with), but the overall resolution is limited by the a/d. I'm using an arduino as a cheap I/O expansion module that talks modbus to an automation direct click plc. I bought some cheap ebay ds18b20 sensors in my rims setup that have 12bit resolution and cost about $2 per sensor. So far they,ve worked well in my water test runs. Data collection and HMI is through IGSS (free 50 version)

Have you seen the Phidgets USB-based IO boards? They have boards that support many different type of sensors including simple discrete IO, motors, etc.

http://www.phidgets.com/

For RTDs you can use their Bridge input module but will need to build an excitation circuit.

They also have really good library support for several different programming languages.
http://www.phidgets.com/docs/Programming_Resources

...and their drivers support Mac.
http://www.phidgets.com/docs/Operating_System_Support

Back