First Batch Q & A

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMasta

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to home brewing beer, but I pay incredible attention to detail as I strive to make even my first batch a smashing success. With that said here is my question. I'm currently brewing my first kit from Northern Brewer, Caribou Slobber Brown Ale, which came with my Deluxe beer making set up. I'm getting ready to rack my batch to the second carboy for aging, etc. I'm concerned number one about even going to the secondary due to risk of oxidation, and secondly I'm concerned about the yeast/foam floaty on the top of the beer. Do I simply dip the auto siphon below that nasty floaty and try to leave it behind in the first carboy, also there seems to be some controversy regarding wether I should even risk oxidation of the beer by racking it to the second carboy. I welcome any thoughts and advice. Thank you, BrewMasta

You do not need to secondary, but if you are careful, you won't have anything to worry about if you decide to. Just coil the hose at bottom of secondary. But up to you. No benefit to secondary for that recipe, unless you need the primary for another brew?

I'm assuming the fementation is not done yet. Let it hang out and don't touch it until it's finished. I don't age in a fermenter. The bottle or keg ages fine.

If the krausen is still present on top of the beer then don't proceed doing anything as the beer is just not done yet.

After about 1 week the krausen will drop by itself and help clear the beer. IMO you wait at least 10-14 days and then take a gravity reading to verify final gravity, wait another day and check again. If the reading is the same the beer is done fermenting and cleaning up. If you elect to move to secondary then go ahead at that time, otherwise there is no harm in leaving the beer in primary for an additional week or two and then package.

Thank you all for your responses, and advice, it's greatly appreciated. It's been exactly one week today in fermentation, the air lock produces one bubble every now and again, and the temp. Is stable at around 67 degrees, I expect to see the kroisen drop soon I guess. I do plan to brew up another batch of lighter beer that has a bit more drink ability than the caribou slobber. For this reason I will definitely be moving the Caribou Slobber to a secondary in order to free up my primary for the next batch. I was thinking The Inn Keeper, AK47, or some other 4 week recipe so that both batches can be bottled around the same time. Does anyone have any suggestions for a lighter, roughly 4 week recipe I can brew up? I would like to try a couple of my beers side by side in a tasting.

Thank you all for your responses, and advice, it's greatly appreciated. It's been exactly one week today in fermentation, the air lock produces one bubble every now and again, and the temp. Is stable at around 67 degrees, I expect to see the kroisen drop soon I guess. I do plan to brew up another batch of lighter beer that has a bit more drink ability than the caribou slobber. For this reason I will definitely be moving the Caribou Slobber to a secondary in order to free up my primary for the next batch. I was thinking The Inn Keeper, AK47, or some other 4 week recipe so that both batches can be bottled around the same time. Does anyone have any suggestions for a lighter, roughly 4 week recipe I can brew up? I would like to try a couple of my beers side by side in a tasting.

you need to check gravity before racking it. and look up centennial blonde. btw the carribou slobber is very easily drinkable just a little tart though.

Latest posts

Back