Current DFW and Austin Brew Pubs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curtis2010

Reaction score
I used to live in Dallas and in Austin, but have not been to either in many, many years. I also did not brew beer back then. I may need to make a business trip to both soon.

Any suggestions for great brew pubs?

Austin has blackstar, uncle billy's north by northwest and maybe another?

Dallas has the humperdinks chain and that's it. Two row used to be a brewpub but the brewer left to open franconia brewing in mckinney. Humperdinks has really fallen off in terms of quality. We have BJ's but ours do not brew on location. It's all contract brewed by St. Arnold's in Houston. We also have a couple Gordon Biersch locations but similarly, they do not brew on location (to my knowledge). I do like the food and several of the beers though.

Dallas has a BJ's as well. Decent enough, but it's in the Addison part of town, and snooty plastic people are really not my deal. I highly recommend going to the Holy Grail pub in plano if you're up that way. Good food, good beer selection, very nice owner.

Dallas makes it really hard/impossible for a brewery to sell their product on site. There are more and more quality restaurants that choose to support fantastic beer, even the local varieties. Look these up (I'm sure I'm missing a few:)

Goodfriend
Meddlesome Moth
Common Table
Strangeways
Libertine
Anvil Pub
Union Bear
Ten Bells
Nova
Bolsa

No doubt there are more coming in the new Trinity Groves area (west side of new bridge.)

If you're willing to drive an hour south of Austin, Freetail Brewpub in San Antonio is awesome.

Also, I recently got into brewing mead, but have tried very few commercial examples. Any recommended meaderies in the area?

Thanks, will check out the bottle shops.

The very few commercial meads I have tried I have not really liked, but fortunately have brewed a few that were quite tasty.

Dallas makes it really hard/impossible for a brewery to sell their product on site. There are more and more quality restaurants that choose to support fantastic beer, even the local varieties. Look these up (I'm sure I'm missing a few:)

Goodfriend
Meddlesome Moth
Common Table
Strangeways
Libertine
Anvil Pub
Union Bear
Ten Bells
Nova
Bolsa

No doubt there are more coming in the new Trinity Groves area (west side of new bridge.)

to add to this list,

cane rosso
capital pub
hop doddy
gingerman
flying saucer
londoner
square burger
jack macs

Wow, I may have to extend our trip!

We do plan to make a side trip to San Antonio as well.

Thanks for all the info.

If you haven't already gone yet, here are a few more in the austin area:

Draughthouse
Banger's
Pinthouse Pizza (Brand new by one of the Odell's brewers - Awesome beer)
Whip In

There are many more, these are just a few of my favorites

Wow, I just returned from my trip through Dallas and Austin and the variety of brew´s available was overwhelming! The Flying Saucer in Austin alone had a 4 page beer menu -- in small print!

We also bought about a case of mixed 6 packs of craft brews at SPEC´s. Lambics, sours, ... the variety was amazing.

Great brew crewz!

Thanks for all the suggestions.

You can mead get in Rogers at Walker Honey's Dancing Bee Winery. It is about 60 miles north of Austin.

You can mead get in Rogers at Walker Honey's Dancing Bee Winery. It is about 60 miles north of Austin.

You sir are a life saver. I have been trying to find someplace interesting to take my wife after the holidays and this place looks like it will work. A great benefit is that it is only a 2 hour bike ride there - she gets wine and I get a nice bike ride.

Back