CFC Placement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottD13

Reaction score
Everyone,
I just built my CFC and was wondering where people put theirs in relation to a march pump. Before the pump or after the pump?

Essentially I'm looking to recirculate my cooled wort on top of the hot wort after it comes out the CFC. So my plan is to run the wort through the CFC via gravity and pump it back up on top.

Ideas?

I have always seen it after the pump

That's what I've seen too but I'm concerned about all the potential lose. Once I shut the valve from the kettle all the wort remaining behind in the hoses and counterflow could be lost as soon as I lose the prime. I could take the hoses off and capture that wort but if gravity will get me started in the first place...why bother.

Now I'm not sure how much wort we actually talking about...say 30' of 3/8" hose and tubing....1/2 a gallon? So perhaps I'm worried over nothing.

That's what I've seen too but I'm concerned about all the potential lose. Once I shut the valve from the kettle all the wort remaining behind in the hoses and counterflow could be lost as soon as I lose the prime. I could take the hoses off and capture that wort but if gravity will get me started in the first place...why bother.

Now I'm not sure how much wort we actually talking about...say 30' of 3/8" hose and tubing....1/2 a gallon? So perhaps I'm worried over nothing.

You are probably talking about less than a quart if most of that 30 feet is 3/8" ID tubing. If it's 3/8" OD tubing it's probably only about a pint or so. Nothing to lose sleep over, either way.

The CFC and anything else should be on the output side of the pump, not the suction side, for best performance. The suction side hoses should be as short as possible and at least as large as the pump inlet pipe size.

Back