Barley Wine Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bopper

Reaction score
Hello,

About 2 weeks ago I brewed a big barley wine with the plans to crack my first one around new years. When racking to the secondary I ran into some problems with my siphon...for some reason I wasn't getting a good syphon and it kept stopping. Can't figure out why...have NEVER had this problem. In light of this start/stop/repumping of the siphon there was a fair amount of bubbles on top of the beer. Not a good racking job at all.

I am worried about oxidation...especially considering I planned on conditioning some of these bottles for a few years.

Should I be worried or should I RDWHAHB?

If it was during the racking to secondary, I would say RDWHAHB. There is enough CO2 present, that it should have started bubbling again in the secondary because of stirring up the yeast. That CO2 should push any air out. I would say that chance of excessive oxidation shouldn't be an issue.

My $.03.

-Todd

Back