Irish Moss boilover??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCH

Reaction score
Ok, I brewed a Honey Blonde Ale today that had 2 lbs of honey. I added half the LME and honey at the beginning and then the rest at 15 minutes left. After stopping the slight boilover from the late addition, it dawned on me that I had to add my Irish Moss. So I just grabbed a 4 oz bag and shook a little bit in. Not sure how much but it was less than 1 oz I'm sure.

Anyway, within a couple of seconds, the wort started to boilover. I wasn't prepared but still managed to catch it before any spilled.

Has anyone else had an Irish Moss boilover or could mine have been caused by something else???

Ok, I brewed a Honey Blonde Ale today that had 2 lbs of honey. I added half the LME and honey at the beginning and then the rest at 15 minutes left. After stopping the slight boilover from the late addition, it dawned on me that I had to add my Irish Moss. So I just grabbed a 4 oz bag and shook a little bit in. Not sure how much but it was less than 1 oz I'm sure.

Anyway, within a couple of seconds, the wort started to boilover. I wasn't prepared but still managed to catch it before any spilled.

Has anyone else had an Irish Moss boilover or could mine have been caused by something else???

It probably was just adding something to a boiling pot- it sounds like nucleation points.

by the way, when you use Irish moss, it's good to rehydrate it first in a little warm water. And the "dosage" is one teaspoon per batch. You probably used more than that, and no harm will come, but next time try putting one teaspoonful in warm water when you start your boil, and then pouring that in together with 15 minutes left in the boil.

It probably was just adding something to a boiling pot- it sounds like nucleation points.

by the way, when you use Irish moss, it's good to rehydrate it first in a little warm water. And the "dosage" is one teaspoon per batch. You probably used more than that, and no harm will come, but next time try putting one teaspoonful in warm water when you start your boil, and then pouring that in together with 15 minutes left in the boil.

Thanks for the info!

My last Honey Blonde was very hazy, so this time, I'm using the Moss and then using gelatin in a secondary.

Hey YooperBrew I used Irish Moss for the first time tonight. I just dumped a teaspoon in with 15 minutes of boiling left. I saw where you suggested to hydrate it first. Why the need to hydrate it prior to dumping? Wouldn't it dissolve during the 15 minutes of boil time?

Hey YooperBrew I used Irish Moss for the first time tonight. I just dumped a teaspoon in with 15 minutes of boiling left. I saw where you suggested to hydrate it first. Why the need to hydrate it prior to dumping? Wouldn't it dissolve during the 15 minutes of boil time?

Yes, it does dissolve. I started rehydrating a few batches in, though, and it does seem to work better. I don't know the chemistry behind it, but after I did it once, I kept it up because it really worked so well. I'll see if I can find the info on why to rehydrate.

Yes, it does dissolve. I started rehydrating a few batches in, though, and it does seem to work better. I don't know the chemistry behind it, but after I did it once, I kept it up because it really worked so well. I'll see if I can find the info on why to rehydrate.

I will give it a shot next time. Thanks again!

Also, I've seen over and over again regarding honey, if it's boiled the flavor will be gone and you are left with just the sugars. I did the same and wished I had read up on it before I did it. :tank:

Also, I've seen over and over again regarding honey, if it's boiled the flavor will be gone and you are left with just the sugars. I did the same and wished I had read up on it before I did it. :tank:

You could always prime with honey. It would just take some time to figure out the right amount.

Back