New Low in efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jma99

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Gads!
I brew an AG Adventis weizen dopplebock and instead of 1.75, I end up at 1.63

I guess I got a weizen bock instead...........

I went for a full body infusion mash of 158 for 45 min.
I was a little high on the temp.
Batch sparge with a single batch.

Grain bill was 50% wheat.

Any ideas to help me out for the next time?

I have to use a finer crush on my wheat or my efficiency drops 5-10%. Of course then I have to use more rice hulls but better than lower efficiency.

I'm 99% sure you got full conversion in 45 minutes with a high mash temp but then again, exactly how high did you overshoot it? Dopplebocks should probably be mashed around 155F with an OG that high and if you overshot even a planned 158, you're going to have a problem with your FG being high. Worst case scenario, depending on how hot it got, is that you immediately denatured the enzymes and didn't convert all the way.

What temp was your sparge water? You'd have better efficiency if you split the sparge in two and used a temp that would take your grist up to about 168F.

Wheats could use a slightly tighter gap on the mill, but I just ran wheat through my normal gap and hit 90% so either my normal crush is crazy fine or it doesn't matter or that much.

I hit 159 for the mash, and sparged at 169

I used my non adjustable maltmill for the crush.

I'm thinking that between the crush and the high temp, I came up short.

My usual efficiency is about 75% to 80%.

Back