Alcohol Content

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gruversm

Reaction score
Is there a way to determine the alcohol content from a beer using another tool other than a Hydrometer? For example, let's say that I took beer off of the shelf and wanted to measure it's A.C. with never taking it's S.G.

Well it depends. You could probably search for the SG of whatever beer your interested in or look up a common Sg for that style.

Wow i guess i read the OP too fast. I was thinking you were talking about a commercial beer off the shelf. Ill go sit down and be quiet now.

You could distill off the alcohol and measure how much you get. Or warm the beer enough to boil off the ethanol, and measure what's left.

'course, then you won't be able to drink the beer ;)

The Swmbo works in a Histology lab and they use little strips of some kind of paper, They have to determine how much alcohol is in a solution they are making for the tumors they are cutting. I don't know if you can buy them publicly but you can check at a lab supply store and Ill ask her when she gets home and post back.

I remember I asked that question a while back on these forums

But it was to calculate

From these forums the answer that was given to me was an equation

OG - FG * 131 will give you your ABV

For example

my Apfelwein is as follows

OG = 1.060
FG = .996

1.060 - .996 = 0.064

0.064 * 131 = 8.384

so the ABV is 8.384%

now dont ask me where the 131 comes from, perhaps someone else here could explain it better

Bike N Brew said:
Or warm the beer enough to boil off the ethanol, and measure what's left.
I almost suggested a similar method, but I think with such a low concentration of alcohol, the results will be very inaccurate.

Back