Apfelwein not carbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fenster

Reaction score
I bottled my apfelwein two weeks ago after 6 weeks in primary.
Followed EdWorts directions except to substitute cane sugar for the dextrose.

I primed with just over a cup of sugar, but still no carbonation.
Let it sit in the fridge for 2 days before opening.
Does it typically take longer than this to get good bubbles?

Thanks.

I don't know what to tell you, except that I had some carbonation after two weeks. I bottled with 8.7 oz. dextrose after 4 weeks in the fermenter. It was quite clear when I primed and bottled.

I also understand that cane sugar takes longer to kick in than dextrose, but I don't remember where I heard that.

TL

"I primed with just over a cup of sugar, but still no carbonation.
Let it sit in the fridge for 2 days before opening."

I think I see the problem, your fridge is too cold for the sugar & yeasty beasties to do their job. Try putting the bottles in a closet or in the cellar for a week or 3 they should carb nicely.

Prost !

Jens

A week wouldn't be enough to get your carbonation. As I mentioned, after two weeks and a quick chill, I had carbonation, but it was lousy. After three weeks, plus a couple days in the fridge, it was right on.

Take 'em back out, let 'em warm back up, give 'em a little shake, wait a couple more weeks, and then see what you have.

TL

Back